Problems after nozzle install

1998dsmtalon

Alright guys, I literally feel that I have read a million of these threads today searching for the answer to my problems. But almost 90% of those threads have ended with nothing being posted about a positive solution. So if you have any helpful information or tips please share.

Here the story,

I went to install my valve springs and F1 nozzles this weekend. Everything came apart smoothly and no real surprises. Springs installed, Piece of cake. Nozzles installed. Also went well. EVERYTHING was done clean and extra time was taken on the installation to make sure it was correct. I had the help of a very knowledgeable member (DODGE74, who I cant thank enough). So anyone that knows him or his posts know he knows what he is doing. But anyway everything was torqued to spec and then checked and so and so fourth.

So heres the issue. When we fired up the truck, it cranked and cranked for a few seconds but then finally started. It idles ROUGH!. Heavy white smoke at idle. SO we shut it down and checked everything. It all looked good so tried again. This time it fires right up like normal (cranking wise) but still the same results. white smoke and horrible idle. So we start unplugging wires from the injectors to chase down a possible bad one. No real change as each one was unplugged. Nozzles 234 and 5 all appeared to have some carbon built up from firing off, 1 and 6 were clean. As if they werent spraying or spraying entirely too much.

I decided to stop fighting it as it was getting late and pulled them all out and took them to a local diesel injection shop. I was expecting one to be hung open or bad or whatever. 96,000 miles on the bodies so I honestly wasnt surprised. But heres the twist! The shop said they were surprised at how well they flowed and at how balanced and matched they were for as large a nozzle they were. FML right?

So tomorrow I am going to get the injectors and put them back in and see what happens. So... anyone have any ideas? From the threads I have read I have came up with possible culprits causing my issues.

1. The blue clipped injector harness' on the outside of the valve cover could be reversed.
2. Leaky or bad connector tubes ( have a new set to try)
3. Valve cover gasket/harness is bad ( Im taking a multimeter with me)
4. Injection shop is a bunch of crack heads and they actually are bad ( unlikely but who knows)
5. MAP plug could be backwards (checked it but I will double check)

Also, I cant stress how careful we were to keep everything clean. New copper washer were used. Nozzles are brand new Flux 3.3.

As always, thanks for any helpful info or assistance anyone can add.

Last edited:
If anyone is from the MD/PA area the injectors were tested at Diesel Pro in Glen Rock. If that matters.

Being that you changed the valve springs at the same time, did you check the valves to make sure that 1 and 6 aren't hanging? If you have no compression or low compression from a valve hanging, it will not lite the fuel, thus the no carbon on the injector tips.
Just a thought.... May not be the case, but something to consider.
Good luck, hope you finger it out.

I've heard bad things from that shop. Do they have an actual CR injector test stand?

I would assume so. They seemed very confident that they could test them. They admitted to not being much into performance but they are a bosch dealer and service center. They also have rebuilt a friend of mines injector and installed his 100 hp nozzles and he hasnt had any issues. Which is why I took them there. If Don or Harvey were close to me the injectors would of gone there. But in hopes of getting the truck up and running again I went local.

Being that you changed the valve springs at the same time, did you check the valves to make sure that 1 and 6 aren't hanging? If you have no compression or low compression from a valve hanging, it will not lite the fuel, thus the no carbon on the injector tips.
Just a thought.... May not be the case, but something to consider.
Good luck, hope you finger it out.

Visually everything seems to be moving the way it should. But no, I did not check compression.

When you tighten down the nuts on the tubes, make damn sure they're tightened to spec, and that they stay tight. I had a similar issue on an 05, and it led to the number 2 nut being loose... Tightened it, and it fired right up and ran great.

Also, make sure the injector shop is using a flow bench, not just a regular pop tester. I found out the hard way how much of a difference the tests are for CR injectors...

When you tighten down the nuts on the tubes, make damn sure they're tightened to spec, and that they stay tight. I had a similar issue on an 05, and it led to the number 2 nut being loose... Tightened it, and it fired right up and ran great.

Also, make sure the injector shop is using a flow bench, not just a regular pop tester. I found out the hard way how much of a difference the tests are for CR injectors...

I will make sure tomorrow when I go get them. They sounded confident when I spoke with them but who knows maybe these will be going out else where now.

Did you check to make sure the rp sensor plug is the correct way ? You actually can plug them in backwards and it will go crazy.

Did you check to make sure the rp sensor plug is the correct way ? You actually can plug them in backwards and it will go crazy.

Yes sir I did, but like I said that will be one of the things I double check tomorrow.

Keep us posted,I'm sure you will get it figured out.Gordan is very knowledgable.

Keep us posted,I'm sure you will get it figured out.Gordan is very knowledgable.

No doubt in that!

I will for sure let everyone know one way or another what happens! I hate when threads with people having real issues just die. What help is that to anyone else?

I can't swing by tomorrow cause I have dinner with my daughter after work but I can swing by thursday after work and take a look at it. I was just up your way saturday night for a bonfire.

It was the injectors.

After a wonderful phone call to diesel pro they more or less called me a liar when I told them injectors fixed my truck. So that was a waste of money.

Any one else who might need injectors tested. STAY AWAY!

Back