Project 6.0.4 (6.4 Compounds on a 6.0)

TheReelMuhcoy

Hey Guys, I've been working on this project over the past month. I have been posting day to day progress on PSA Forums, but wanted to spread the news here on CompDiesel.

The truck is currently not running since I blew the FICM 30 seconds before I was about to fire it up and take it for another test drive. I am still resolving some air/exhaust leaks. The last photo shows the new FICM mount location so I do not arc it against the battery again and blow another $550. Today I am going to fab a mount to hold a temporary actuator for the small turbo's VGT, the electronic version is still in development stages.
FF5402F5-D519-40F6-895F-00ED19AFD859.JPG

1B54712D-C611-4999-9E4F-76B15E1B6FD4.JPG

EC51899B-568C-44C5-8A87-D045BB241A0B.JPG

0B8CA0EF-4A24-45B8-A895-8746AF231F4F.JPG

A0E5A516-5332-4A3A-AAAE-3905AAD9D205.JPG

794DEF74-D6C0-4471-BB98-D6B322D32E3E.JPG

4F30378F-21D9-4192-81DD-915B1628337C.JPG

86F7D09C-F44B-423D-A64D-656644627478.JPG

Test drive. At this point I had a massive oil leak from the drain tubes that desperately needed to be corrected.
6.0.4 hard acceleration w/o VGT - YouTube

Last edited:
That engine bay looks freaking scary. All cluttered and full of stuff. But good job on the compounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Yessir! The J-tube (as I call it) that connects the LP turbo to the Atmo turbo takes up too much room to maintain the stock bottle, so I made my own.

That engine bay looks freaking scary. All cluttered and full of stuff. But good job on the compounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Nice, those things didn't have much room under the hood from the get go.

No these 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engine bay's are full from the start. It was tricky, and a bit nerve racking at some points to try to figure out how to make it all fit.

Here is the FICM in its new permanent location, safely away from harms way of the battery's positive terminal. Hopefully no stray baseballs or small meteors will find their way to that spot on the hood!
8EE790AC-FA14-46FF-9B51-6176DDB5E96E.JPG

Another angle of the new FICM location. Please spare the criticism of my welds. I am just learning how to TIG weld, they're all air tight at the least.
8A60EFB1-4243-4B4D-B99D-80F3802BE559.JPG

Thanks for the good words guys!

Wont have any more driving video's till Tuesday. Have another leak from one of the turbo oil feed lines. Discovered it while recording this though. Not looking like I'll have it ready for the Dyno at this weekends XDP event, damn shame, but I wasn't expecting to be ready.
http://youtu.be/yeNVhJlq1X8

Some guys on the PS Nation were asking for pars list required for the build so here is what I posted...

Not sure if I mentioned this here yet, but I am looking to offer a kit for sale, I will make all modifications, and fabricate parts required parts.

6.4 stock parts:
•exhaust manifolds
•up pipes (would need to be modified slightly would be included in my kit price)
•Intake manifold
•Turbo's
•Turbo VGT actuator
•Turbo crossover tube
•Down pipe (I used 4" flo pro)

6.0 stock parts
•Dual alternator setup for relocating alternator to lower position. If you have dual alternators you will need to remove the upper one. Either case the main belt needs to be shortened.
•E-series FICM harness

Fabricated parts (these are parts I can make available for purchase)
•Turbo pedestal
•Both IC pipes
•Pre-turbo to intake pipes
•FICM Mount

Parts requiring some modification
•6.0 PCM-FICM harness to be extended (this may need to be done in vehicle).

There are many other little incidental items that are needed to finish it up but that'a all the big stuff.

I got the truck back on the road today, she sure pulls way more than with the stock turbo. It seems like they could use some more fuel. WOT it is smoke free on the canned SCT performance tune, where as with the stock turbo, I would smoke like crazy any time I really leaned into it. I am quite impressed after today's test drive. Tomorrow I will finish up my temporary VGT actuation and I will report back with how the small turbo does cleaning up the fuel at the low end.

Shockingly the EGT's were INCREADIBLY low on my WOT runs today, I am wondering if I have an issue with my EGT sensor... I never broke 700*

That's an awesome project. Congrats and can't wait to see what it does on the dyno. Did you do a baseline run with the stock turbo?

I will be temporarily using a internal waste gate actuator to control the VGT, but I have an electronic setup that will replace that and plug into the 6.4 actuator and 6.0 PCM, I have not had the time to work on that while working on the build.

Have you thought about upgrading to the 71mm comp wheel in the primary?

Yes the 71MM has crossed my mind as did some other 6.4 upgrades. Until now my goal has been just to break ground on something NO ONE has done yet. Having finished the temporary actuator I am pleased enough with the results to say it is a success. Soon to come, more fuel!!!!

So here ya' go guys, just a couple video's tonight. Tomorrow I am going to tweak the actuator to smooth out the transition from LP to HP turbo's then Sunday is Dyno time!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2H5oTK32Hw"]6.0.4 W/VGT actuation light acceleration - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIhEr1I2H0"]6.0.4 W/VGT actuation - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back from XDP's open house, a bit disappointed. Here is the Dyno graph and below that a video of the run.

bZXZwilRWX7wo4Qbc5JJ1W0vx45US1nM5Tv8c_nFyuA=w712-h534-no

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12FT2XH7KI"]6..0.4 First Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

As you can see by the video there is no excess fuel, and my EGT's at WOT are only in the high 500's. I am wondering if I am running too lean, and how much that could be affecting my performance.... Let me here it all guys, good bad, and the ugly!

Not sure what's up with the EGT situation, but I will be getting an Edge CTS soon enough. The truck is currently undergoing head studs, upon completion I will be starting to work with Innovative Diesel for tuning the truck. I tried out a semicustom tune which made a pretty big difference from the canned SCT tunes, but I am very excited to see what IDP's tuning will do.

Back