Project Exploder...

Marc

Nobody
Well...it wont be near as fast as Comp D's ranger.....but it should be a sweet daily driver......I thought a few of you might be interested in the project im gonna take on....

My 1992 exploder doesnt get driven........its not even licenced right now

So.....Ive taken some measurments.....talked to some people for potential problems.......and ive decided....

My exploder is getting a 7.3........hopefull built to about 400 HP and im speculating finished wieght at around 6000 lbs. I think i have a local shop interested in some sponsoring of the build as well:thankyou2:

Here is what i have so far for ideas....

Stock front twin I beam initially (strait axle eventually but stick with the stocker to get it rolling at first) with stiffer coil springs.....
add a leaf in the rear with the veggi tank mounted in the spare tire location
2-3 inch body lift for clearance
A/C has to go.....the evaperator core housing sits too close where the motor will be......also the condensor will need to come out to make room for the intercooler/trans cooler
35 spline axles in the rear
obviously it will need custom driveshafts......possibly have to go with an atas tcase or something because of space...etc.....

Ill be looking for a totaled OBS truck. I need an OBS for the donor trucks harnesses, instement cluster and modules. Its currently a stick....so i can go manual or auto....but i hope to go auto with it.....(built e4od)

Why do a 7.3? Go with a 4bt Cummins...It will be easier, lighter, probably cost alot less and is capable in making just as much power.

:redx:
Why do a 7.3? Go with a 4bt Cummins...It will be easier, lighter, probably cost alot less and is capable in making just as much power.

Cus maybe he don't wear blinders.
easier and cheap don't always reward as much as the road less traveled.

Would be a pretty lonely road from what I can tell.....Never heard of a 4bt in an Explorer yet....:poke: Though, on the flipside, never saw a 'splorer with a powerstroke in it either, lol. Either way it would be cool, but I think the 4bt would be alot less headaches, during the install and after.

Why go cummins when A) im a certified ford diesel tech.....B) why go the "easy" way and why do what others have...... and C) cause it will just be cooler if its shoehorned in there and still looks clean!!!! (look at my usertitle...LOL)

Thank you David....i couldnt have said it better myself.......

but why not do it right and put a 6.0 in it?:poke:

a couple reasons......

first of all.....i work on 6.0's all day long every day.....i want to play with a 7.3 in this one. There are 6.0's going in other lately (the ranger.....6.0CJ7......etc) and i just want to be a little different.....

the other reason is i want something that im not TOO temtped to try to go too big with too fast......i would like to be able to work at this in stages after its running.....and with a 6.0 i know myself and id be wanting to go too big too fast with an unproven chassis..... I dont know what the limits of the frame....even boxed with additional reinforcements are going to be. I plan on leaving the 8.8 in it for at least the time being.....i know they will take a ton of HP but i dont know how much torque.....and the torqueshift/6.0 combo is a bit longer than a 7.3/e4od combo and i would like to do as little body "massaging" as possible....

the last reason is compatability. Its gonna be a lot easier to fab a clean install and have the least amount of headaches wiring wise with an OBS donor....... A lot of the connectors will be the same......the bezel for the wait to start light and water in fuel light will cleanly install into the dash.....just overall looks and install i think its gonna be easier with an OBS truck.....

Would be a pretty lonely road from what I can tell.....Never heard of a 4bt in an Explorer yet....:poke: Though, on the flipside, never saw a 'splorer with a powerstroke in it either, lol. Either way it would be cool, but I think the 4bt would be alot less headaches, during the install and after.

im a PSD guy...so its getting a PSD....

I dont think the road is gonna be too lonely.....its untraveled....but ive got all kinds of people wanting to be there for the pot holes when i hit them!!!:hehe:

im not worried about the headaches. With a little enganuity.....anything can be figured out as far as problems that i will run into....its just time....and $$$ As far as headaches after the fact......its a lot easier for a guy that works on them for a living to deal with that too.......and honestly the 7.3 is such a reliable powerplant that i dont exactly get where your "after" headaches come from.

Sounds like a sweet project, I'm goin a bit of the "more common" route and Swappin either a 4bt Cummins into my '59 Willys Jeep, Though I may have just aquired a JD 4045T

already have an engine lined up? I have one up here in NorCal I got for my old truck and never got around to.

Back