PROJECT Lotus... diesel... concept

WYODodge

Politically Un-Correct
Just want to see if there would be any following or support for such a project.

Here's the idea...

I have at my disposal a 1973 Lotus Europa. It is completely in pieces. This would be a "from the ground up" build. The body is 100 percent fiber-glass with no rot that I am aware of and has good paint. The frame needs a little tweaking/straightning and also needs a new engine. The original engine was a 4-cyl. Renault gasser... (displacement unknown to me). What I do know is judging on physical size (with out a ruler) that Renault and a Nissan SD 22 (4-cyl. diesel) are somewhat close in length/width.

The idea is to put this car back on the road with a diesel powerplant. Something the original designers most likely never dreamed of. :bang
Or ever saw coming for that matter... :kick:

This would not be built as a racer mind you... this would be an "only one of its kind," nastalga meets redneck intuition/geneous (< do those words even belong in the same sentence? :doh: :hehe: ) show-car, sort of build.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Last edited:
Build it, not you have anything else to do on those long winters :poke:

Stay away from Nissan or Renault diesel engines.

If you need small and reliable diesel , look to Toyota or VW .

I say definitely build it. That would be a 10of10 on the cool scale. Would a vw TDI be a possibility?

VW

I say definitely build it. That would be a 10of10 on the cool scale. Would a vw TDI be a possibility?

VW diesels have crossed my mind.

The only problem that will arise with any engine is space. This is a mid-engine car. The Renault that came with it is tiny. Any engine that is much larger than that one will require major modification or just will not work.

May have to resort to a 2-3 cylinder Kubota.

Still doin' the research.

Take a plasma cutter to the chassis and cut some room for a 4BT..... LOL

small toyota diesel motor would be the way to go in my mind, but it may be too big,

I know this car and anything over the size of a 1.6 VW is going to be toooo big the gasser in this car is tiny. A three cylinder kubota is about the right size.

All note worthy thoughts...

BlackandStacked and I are gonna have to do some precise measuring to see what will fit and what won't.

While the thought of a 4BT is absolutely tempting, that particular engine would be too heavy & oversized for this engine compartment.

Total estimated weight for this car is only 1,500+ pounds w/o driver.

The frame of this ride is like no other vehicle on wheels. It is in the shape of a 'T' or an 'I'. Literally, the front end and rear end are the only cross members on this thing. The center of the 'T/I' is a hollow steel "box" about 8"-10" wide and 12"-20" tall. Putting the plasma cutter to this frame would be the same as cutting a aluminum fishing boat in half and expecting to float just the same as before you cut it.... You just don't do it.

Check out this link for those of you who may be interested in pictures and fact sheets.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z7199/Lotus_Europa.aspx

What we have is the '73 Europa TC Special... I think. I am not 100% sure about that; I will have to look closer when I go home to get it this summer.

This may prove to be a waste of time. I just don't know right not. Too many questions to be answered at this point in time.

If a diesel just wont work.... I am thinking 1800cc motorcycle engine, Rotax from a Mazda Miata or a snow-machine [snow-mobile]. You know something that can turn some serious RPM with out exploding like a smaller to mid sized 4-6 cylinder diesel would above 1800 RPM and turn that tranny/rear end at the speed necessary to achieve 150+ MPH.

Interesting!

......IMHO, Wankel Diesel is your key for that car.

Never heard of these before now.

Just looked @ them on their web site and "Wiki."

I'll have to do the conversions and see what kind of space is required for one of these... If in fact I could find one.

You know...

I know this car and anything over the size of a 1.6 VW is going to be toooo big the gasser in this car is tiny. A three cylinder kubota is about the right size.

You got me thinking...

You know what else is a small, computer controled, 3 cylinder and is turbocharged? And it's a Bosch common rail!

The diesel in the Mercedes Smart Car.

I have seen one of these engines over here... [don't ask what/where; I can't tell you]

I wonder if I could get TS Performance to create an MP-8 for
this engine??? :hehe: :hehe:

Hang a Borg/Warner/Switzer for a D-Max on it and we'll be set! :charger: :hehe::hehe:

Last edited:
engine height will be a problem, that's why I was thinking of the Wankel. .....not to mention I think the RPM limit is WAAAYY up there.

Thanks...

engine height will be a problem, that's why I was thinking of the Wankel. .....not to mention I think the RPM limit is WAAAYY up there.

Thanks for the feedback.

Plan to go home in August... Sadly not much will happen with this except research till then.

Still have to get the "go ahead" from my grandfather...
He who holds the title has a loud voice in matters like this.

On the flip side, he's 80 y.o.a, already asked once or twice if I wanted it and the car's body is sittin' on saw horses uncovered with dirt-dawber nests on it. The frame/engine and wheels/tires are 12 miles away from the body in a warehouse all in seperate piles. :bang: :kick:

Last edited:
I would put a twin turbo V-6 powerstroke out of Ford's LCF cabovers.

I'm not sure how it would cost, but what about the Neander diesel designed for their motorcycles?

Do a search for Neander motors...it is a 1400cc producing 112 hp and looks very compact and light.

I'm going to place another vote for the VW diesel.
There are quite a few around and parts are available.

Back