No cam plate
AFC ahead stock star wheel location
5 X .012” Injectors 260 Bar
4K GSK
Coolant bypass kit
HX-35 14cm non-gated turbine housing, to 3” down pipe
Stock stroker exhaust 3.5”
AFE

I am shooting for 30 MPG and currently running around MI in weather in the low teens averaging 17 mpg. I have been driving it for about 3 months now since I finished it. I am attributing the low mpg to the hi boost numbers I am seeing? Truck may be too heavy, too much wind resistance, too big of an injector, or too tight of a turbine housing?

Things I am considering trying, each by itself to monitor changes:

Put some 235-75r-16s on it
Change out to a16cm housing and 4 or 5” exhaust
Go down to a 5 x .010 injector
Build an air dam

I will post so pics up later, just looking for some input from the guys that have setup their trucks for MPG.

Throwing on an aftermarket turbo may help. I'm seeing 16mpg with a 160hp pump equipped with .030 delivery valves, 5x.014 injectors, 0-plate placed to where the pump should be 500cc (bench tested), 24° of timing, and a S300G turbo with the compressor housing punched out and a 62mm wheel instead of the 57mm they come with.

I remember gunracer1 had project 11.30-> Ram 1500 with 12 V Cummins

11-> seconds 1/4
30-> mpg

I would look at some 235 - 85 - 16 tires, Lowering it. The rest of your plan seems solid but I don't think you are going to hit 30 in that truck.

Fords are not the lightest truck.

Also, you can count on winter fuel for 3, maybe 4mpg loss.

that truck is heavyer than a 2500 dodge by about 800 pounds mabey a little more, deffinatly a bigger frontal area for the wind to hit than a dodge so yes i would say lower it as low as possible on a 4x4 and go to 235 tires. with the gear vendors and a pizza cutter tire you should be good to go also put a 3gsk in it, it wont fuel as hard down low in the rpms as the 4gsk does. those injectors should be fine but i would put a 62/65/12 on for a turbo. i think with that setup provided you lower it and go with the skinier tires you should be up in the mid 20's for sure.

I've actually took the time to do 60mph for 3 hour round trip. filled up before and after at the same pump and did get an honest 24mpg. Didn't have one slow down or any city traffic short of a few miles. since it was round trip, elevation changes averaged out. Near stock (edge box stuff) CR. over 40,000 miles on the motor.

7400#-ish. stock tires I think, maybe 295's. not sure exactly.

The best mileage I've ever seen in a Superduty is from Dave Whitmer. He owns a 2000 F-350 Supercab, 2wd, with a 6-speed. His mods include a front air dam, a custom built fairback bed cover, 3.08 gears, very narrow tires, suspension lowered 4 inches, single shot injectors, tuning, etc.

His best mileage is 27 mpg's summer, and 24 mpg's winter.

This is on a Powerstroke engine. I know you're trying to reach this on a Cummins.

You do have some factors working against you...namely having 4wd is a big disadvantage. Personally, even if you added an air dam, lowered the truck, and changed exhaust, turbo, and injectors, you're still going to be hard pressed to reach 30 mpg's

Here is what I am seeing running 70 mph.

P1033131.jpg

P1033132.jpg

The best mileage I've ever seen in a Superduty is from Dave Whitmer. He owns a 2000 F-350 Supercab, 2wd, with a 6-speed. His mods include a front air dam, a custom built fairback bed cover, 3.08 gears, very narrow tires, suspension lowered 4 inches, single shot injectors, tuning, etc.

His best mileage is 27 mpg's summer, and 24 mpg's winter.

This is on a Powerstroke engine. I know you're trying to reach this on a Cummins.

You do have some factors working against you...namely having 4wd is a big disadvantage. Personally, even if you added an air dam, lowered the truck, and changed exhaust, turbo, and injectors, you're still going to be hard pressed to reach 30 mpg's

Thanks fo the info, I wanted to be realistic about this build and keep it 4x4 since I do live in MI.

go with some narrower tire it will help some, but with out lowering the truck to reduce the wind drag your still not going to get that good of fuel mileage. you should have the ability to unlock your hubs and allow them to free wheel unlike the dodge trucks. but with the extra weight of the front axle and the extra weight of the ford truck i think 24mpg is going to be pushing it. i know crabelle (bobby) hit 33mpg with his 2wd dodge and it was lowered and air dammed with a gear vendors unit. I'll be building a truck shortly like this but it will be a lowered 3rd gen dodge reg cab short or long bed platform with a p-pumped motor with a 47rh and gearvendors unit running 2wd. i'm hoping for 30-35 mpg out of it.

you would prolly get more fuel mileage if you check engine light wasn't on:hehe:. you might just have to break down and lower the truck. and what did you do to the pump? that thing is gleaming!

Joe

you would prolly get more fuel mileage if you check engine light wasn't on:hehe:. you might just have to break down and lower the truck. and what did you do to the pump? that thing is gleaming!

Joe

Yeah still have to cut that wire on the SES. I might have to lower just never lowered a truck in my life, its always been the other direction. As Chris from ED would call it the pump has been painted with mexichrome, or aluminum rattle can...

Going to put on some 235s this weekend, other than making the truck look like a grandpa truck will see what that does for the mileage?

youll be lucky to get 25.

call diesel power mag, everyone of there trucks breaks 500 hp on a stock turbo, runs 9.90's and gets 50 mpg

Well put some smaller tires on, the 235s seems to have dropped the EGTs around 100 deg also boost dropped around 2 psi. I will be checking mileage but seems to have helped 100 miles before the gauge moved and that was with the quad in the back.

P2142909.jpg

P2142915.jpg

good job let us know what your doin now with the small tires... i realy like that truck, although i would sacrifice a few mpg for some bigger mud tires. but thats just me...

Back