Project X Beetle gets the new Kerma 46 / 60 mm race turbo

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
This turbo is big, really big for a under 2 liter TDI motor. If you want the best , and are willing to do the extras, like a Colt cam, Ported Head , Forged pistons , and my new forged I beam rods , this is the turbo.

I installed a 35 mm wastegate to reduce turbine in pressure. Excessive drive pressure is huge problem with the variable vane turbo when using NX. The variable turbo’s are great at controlling turbine speed, but they do not allow the excess exhaust to bypass the turbine, and the resultant drive pressures create lots of retained heat. This is the way to make 400 hp from under 2 liters

bigturbo1.jpg

bigturbo2.jpg

That's not a really big turbo at all for a TDI. I ran a 60mm compressor, 45.5mm turbine 2 years ago on my car. Ran awesome great till a rod bolt let go. Don't know if I'm going to put that GT unit back on or go with the new VK version of it.

A dude down in texas also ran a hy35 a while back. Made silly power from 3500-5500.

My next customer build is using a set of BW compounds from a Powerstroke. Should be quite fun :ft:.

If you didn't use a hybrid with the stock manifold/turbine housing you wound't need the wastegate even with NOS.

First I do not now or ever use nos . I base everything on data logging, and the drive pressures are unbelievable, even with the vanes wide open. The turbine is spinning to the moon, and working the air, adding heat to the intake charge, and the exhaust has increasable heat as well from the restriction.

And as to this being a small charger, its not , its one that only 1% of the TDI community can run.
I have much much larger chargers with compounds that are ready to bolt on , but are not designed for everyday driving

First I do not now or ever use nos . I base everything on data logging, and the drive pressures are unbelievable, even with the vanes wide open. The turbine is spinning to the moon, and working the air, adding heat to the intake charge, and the exhaust has increasable heat as well from the restriction.

And as to this being a small charger, its not , its one that only 1% of the TDI community can run.
I have much much larger chargers with compounds that are ready to bolt on , but are not designed for everyday driving

Greggles, those vnt15/17 based turbos will always have INSANE drive pressures. Go get yourself a GTB2260VK or larger if you want to stick to a non-compound setup. Anything over a 17/22 hybrid is a :badidea:

With the GTB2260VK, you'll wind up seeing drive pressure drop BELOW boost pressure at higher RPMS.

Old poopie, I am looking forward to this race if it ever happens. Greg looks like you really can't claim it unless you want to run him first. No sanctioning bodies need to be a part of this to be legit.

Last I checked Andy's secondary is bigger then the turbo you are going to run forget his primary...

Old poopie, I am looking forward to this race if it ever happens. Greg looks like you really can't claim it unless you want to run him first. No sanctioning bodies need to be a part of this to be legit.

I'm looking but I dont see any yellow beetle in the coverage of Hot Rod Drag Week..... I guess Greggles is ok with not being the fastest TDI in all the land..... So much for all the build up.... I'm sure we'll hear the, "if it wasnt done to super duper perfect then we werent gonna run bla-de-bla-bla" but they had plenty-o-time. I'm tired of the posturing and talk.... Lets see some real results.

Back