Project X readied for the Texas Mile

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
We have been working hard to get Project X Diesel ready for the Texas mile in two weeks. We have been shooting installs on several products for Diesel Power. The first was the Gear Vendor Overdrive. This has vent very smooth, the .78 over drive is going to be a big benefit in both the Texas mile, and drag racing. Charlie Stewart is building the fabricated 9 inch rear end, stuffed with 40 spline axles and spool. The 40 spline pinion is another reason this is more the hefty enough, and is stronger then the AMA 11.25

The ½ ton front end was a bolt on; additionally we used a set of 2 “drop lower A arms. The truck has a new stance, and looks mean the Brakes are on the way, don’t know what David at DP acquired, but that will top off the front end .

. The total weight reduction in just the front is 150 lbs. Wes Snow is working on removing the two batteries and mounting one Powermaster battery in the rear. This will move even more weight off the front of this nose heavy truck.
Charlie Stewart is building the fabricated 9 inch rear end, stuffed with 40 spline axles and spool. The 40 spline pinion is another reason this combination is more the hefty enough, and is stronger then the AMA 11.25 The switch to the ford rear end will net 400 lbs of un sprung weight reduction.

The RPM data logger is being installed and is the topic of an upcoming article in DP , we intend to watch the following points of interest . 1 Engine rpm , 2 drive rpm, 3 boost pressure, 4 drive pressure, 5 common rail pressure , 6 all six EGT’s , 7 temperature out of the turbo , 8 temperature in to the intake , 9 accelerometer, 10 nitrous pressure , and any number of other things we think of later.

The projected top speed is 187 mph , we are going to limit that to 175 , unless the new cage is ready in time

Cage not required untill 190 mph as per the Texas Mile website.
Not saying it isn't a good idea...just not required.
175 mph...190 mph...it really won't matter if something disasterous happens.

Sounds like a fun time to me. Either way that is way stinking fast in a pickup (or most anything really) I'll be watching and waiting for some pictures and results :)

George

Wow, Banks makes a product capable of 175+ mph?:poke: :poke: :kick: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Sorry Greg, I had too.:doh:

Sounds like you guys have been working hard to get ready..Good luck

gstanfield said:
I'll be watching and waiting for some pictures and results :)

George
I'll be there myself...if there's a wireless connection...I'll have results up immediatly.

Sounds sweet.

I hope Gear Vendors improved their overdrive recently. They really don't like big torque. Seem to be good behind gassers though. Not bashing you Greg. I have seen two fail. One in a 83 Chevy behind a Perkins 354 and 400 turbo. The other a 02 Dodge CTD auto that was stock.:doh:

Going take a big bottle to run the mile.:woohoo:

What system are you using to log the data? I would love to be able to log all that data with one unit.

Last edited:
Gear vendor has mad some improvements for the diesel racing world, and I think this one will work. I will only shift it on the back half of the track. I am up this morning going to fetch the axle tubes for the S&T water jet and brackets to mount the rpm sensor on the front of the motor. Looks like Chevy wants us to do Sema truck like Project X , I am thinking a half ton truck with a complete Duramax Engine and transmission kit. And possible using the half ton 4 wheel front suspension and the Cadillac AWD now that would be a 5000 lbs street killer.

Comp

I ran GV before with no issues (sled pulling=break tho). You have to beat this old Ford (1/2 mile)-it sounds slow, but I beat 1/2 the cars in the field.

LINK

Now back to the thread.

Im really going to try to make it to this Texas mile thing........ hopefully I'll get to meet some of ya'll there and put faces to screen names.

Project X Diesel gets the new high ratio rocker arms today . You can read all about it in Diesel Power . We will post pictures soon

COMP461 said:
Looks like Chevy wants us to do Sema truck like Project X , I am thinking a half ton truck with a complete Duramax Engine and transmission kit. And possible using the half ton 4 wheel front suspension and the Cadillac AWD now that would be a 5000 lbs street killer.

Cool idea as long as its not littered with Banks junk. Using a 1/2 ton isn't really worth the weight savings you think. The front suspension is almost the same as a HDs.

Hey Comp,is the project x truck going to be at the Texas mile this weekend?

here are some pictures of the data logger from RPMPERF.COM

Attachments

• EGTS.JPG
    EGTS.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Will the truck be at the Texas Mile this weekend as stated before,a few of us are planning a road trip and would like to see it in person.

AS STATED BEFORE YES We have been waiting on the TOYO 325 35 W20's to be legal they are being shipped from 3 different locations and are sceduled to be here today . We have shot three different installs with diesel power , and burning the midnight oil to get there .

Back