Project X readied for the Texas Mile

we will plan somthng down there , any ideals would help. maybe a rally of somthing , diesel Powers Chad Westfalle will be there . so lets show them diesel people show up to surport their Project X diesel program

If I could be there I would be. Heck I'd be happy to be part of the project X cheering section just to see some serious diesel speed showing them diesel are good for more than just pulling their race trailers.

George

Hey Greg,

I have to go by RAy-Mac and pick up a couple of my heads. Then I should be by to help wrap up those details on Project X that we were discussing earlier.

Did the new "toy" make it from our friends yet?

Also I have to bring by the new II stage 3 CP3 for John's truck :shake: Too bad X is still saddled with the stage 2.

But, it might be becase I told Brady that I thought we had enough fuel to squeeze 900 from X.

Later,
Wes

greg i have a set of 275/55/20 continentals that are w or y rated if the others don't show up in time. they are mounted on the 20s that are usally on my little truck. but no burn outs, they cost to much.
and since i will not be able to make it, and if some one has a dodge or chevy i will lend you my speed rated tires to go play if you want to. i think they are good to 168. i have so low pro 16s on a set of stock rims for the front and some 20s for the rear. they are about 31"s tall. they are 8 lugs on 6.5 bolt circle. the steel rims. they may only fit a dodge, but i think they will clear on a chevy. i know they wont fit a ford, the hub center is to small.

Good luck and be DANG careful... I have friends that have run that event in a Corvette, and it can bite you.

Well, I just tried to get an update, and as of yet, Greg has not ran. If I hear anything, Ill let yall know.

IN LATE , BUT HERE IS THE NUMBERS
I set the C/DT number #2 Willys bio diesel only of 150.169 mph
Kirk Manuel used the NX and ran a best of 161. mph

Damn! 150-160 in a street truck is crazy!

I wish I would have known the standing record for a diesel that greg broke was only 130 mph.I could have ran my dmax and had a record for about an hour.Man that sucks!

Hey Rich,let me know when get ready to run at the mile,I would make the trip again.

THANKS to everyone that came out to see us, this was a learning experience, the truck handles like a sports car now and it really hauls the mail cruising down the interstate. I was riding in the back and woke up to see Cory Daniels and his brother cursing at 2500 RPMs on the tack in double overdrive. After a quick calculation I informed then that 125 on interstate 35 was a little to fast.

We started off with a easy shake down with the fuel module off and the Diablo predator on the factory setting of extreme this netted a best of 143 mph, next it was Kirks Manuels turn at the wheel. He turned on the box after launch and the run was 148 mph the RPM performance data logger showed us that the industrial injection CP3 stage two pump was holding 27,500 psi pressure at the traps wow, this pressure box was brutal, and its now understandable why these brand of pressure boxes will lift the relief on a stock truck, causing hydraulic hammer and cracking injectors. I would not eventhink about one of these on a stock truck. It’s not pressure, but the modulation of lifting and closing the relief valve. This truck has a capped off rail, so its not as big a problem.

I then installed the TS Performance MP8 and twisted it to the right, the pressure was far steadier and at 25,000 this box will really work on a street truck with a operating relief, I then turned the Banks Six gun to setting number 4 and fine tuned the pressure to 27,000. This worked on setting the C/DT record, I left like a drag race, and was worried about the 9.5 rear end, but it held. The truck drives like a dream and was steady. 150.167 mph. the engine rpm at the end of the run was 3025 rpm’s and the egt’s were 1710 to 1767 with number 5 being the hottest. The rail was 27,000 rocks steady. The boost was 32 psi and the compressor out was 325, with intake charge after the Banks Technicooler at 105. that was the end of day one

Last edited:
Cool deal Greg. That's pretty fast in a street truck for sure. I'm curious as to what limited the speed, did you run out of track, run out of RPM's or just run out of power to push the wind? The speed is great, just wondering what direction you guys are going to have to go to look for more speed :)

Also, anything in the works for bonneville this year? That's close enough I could make it out to watch :D

George

We did have a 15 mph headwind .and according to a LSR expert, Gale this is good for 5 to 10 mph . At 3325 rpms the engine had 150 rpms left in it, which would be good for or 7 to 8 mphs. With a .125 jet we were out of nitrous by the 3/4 mile mark. The conclusion is more gear, more available nitrous with a push system and a little more experience and the truck will reach its goal of 180 mph. The guys from Speed channel were very excited, it was like they hade never heard of diesel performance, well they have now, and the future is looking great

Sweet, that answers my question then, the main thing slowing this truck down is gearing and the need for a longer track :) If you guys do decide to make the trek out to the salt flats let me know, I'll bring you a nice cold one to enjoy after a hot day of racing.

George

Greg was nice enough to stop by the shop yesterday & let me take project x for a spin. It was impressive!

Back