Proven Daily Driver Turbo/Injector combos

Santa Gertrudis

6.4LTTFMF
Im working on making a list of "proven to work" combos. Proven meaning manageable on the street with fairly low smoke etc. I know this has been discussed a little in the past, but the 6.0 has come a long way, and there are more available options now. Plus, the 6.0 section has been pretty quiet lately, so lets discuss!

For example: Beans Turbo/Casserly 190s

I know this combo works. I have personally driven a truck with this combo and a balls out race tune. Spools slightly slower than stock, and the smoke is very tame. We pulled Deranged from Texas to Bowling Green Kentucky with this combo and a tow tune with zero issues.

Also: Stock Charger/RCD 155s

I have heard a few reviews saying that these are the perfect sticks for a stock turbo. Very low smoke, and a good bump in power. Spools like stock obviously. Tows just fine with a tow tune.

So let's hear what you guys have to say!

Beans Turbo aka GT4088/ Stock sticks. Runs very clean when it spools and will run 14.00 on a race tune and 13.41 on spray in a CC truck.

I liked my 66mm with 190's for the daily driving part. Towing is not really an option but it all depends on what your after. It spooled a little slower than stock but with the right tuning it ran fine till you hit the skinny.

I liked my 66mm with 190's for the daily driving part. Towing is not really an option but it all depends on what your after. It spooled a little slower than stock but with the right tuning it ran fine till you hit the skinny.

I think you are able to do that because of where you live. We don't recommend a 66 for daily driving. It can be done, but most places in the country it will smoke like hell and be very lazy come summer time. Winter, is a different story.

I think you are able to do that because of where you live. We don't recommend a 66 for daily driving. It can be done, but most places in the country it will smoke like hell and be very lazy come summer time. Winter, is a different story.

Winter vs Summer smoke? What's the explanation for that?

Winter vs Summer smoke? What's the explanation for that?

Colder denser air in the winter?

Here in NY the temp in the summer is 80 easily, then in winter we see 0 degrees sometimes...

You can definitely tell a difference in the way a vehicle runs. Now I'm not sure if this is what he was referring too, or what...

Not to mention its also a lot less humid during the winter months.

EDIT*... Wow three of us at the same time with the same reply? haha:clap:

i loike 155 to 190's with the 62/70 industrial turbo, it's a nice kick in the pants with good drivability

Shawn beat me to it. I was just about to type that exact set up. 190s with the 62/70 II turbo

I've been running casserly 190's with the II 62/70 turbo and this combo runs good. I've a 64/71/70 that i still need to get on and try with these sticks, but just haven't had time yet. But i think 190's with a 62 or 64 is a great combo for street and strip.

yeah, what they said :hehe:

Nope. Air temp change from summer to winter is a joke. If there is a notable change is likely has a lot more to do with an EOT sensor, or some other sensor than anything to do with the actual air temp itself making a truck smoke.

Sounds like you guys might have some serious EOT based Timing/ICP/Pw going on.

That or the oil getting hotter/thinner in the summer is changing the injector function that much.

Nope. Air temp change from summer to winter is a joke. If there is a notable change is likely has a lot more to do with an EOT sensor, or some other sensor than anything to do with the actual air temp itself making a truck smoke.

That or the oil getting hotter/thinner in the summer is changing the injector function that much.

Us Cummins guys experience it also. How do explain the effect on a p-pump with no electrical sensors?

Us Cummins guys experience it also. How do explain the effect on a p-pump with no electrical sensors?

Loons behind the wheel.

;)

I don't want to derail the thread, it just seemed odd. And I've never noticed it in all the years I've been driving a diesel. I must just not be very observant.

So, then altitude would mean nothing either right?

Air density changes with altitude. Air density changes with temperature

So, then altitude would mean nothing either right?

Air density changes with altitude. Air density changes with temperature

I ran some numbers and it looks like mass flow over the range in temp between say 90 degrees and 0 degrees ambient could swing as much as 19%.

Going from sea level to 10,000 feet would only represent a change of ~6% though.

19% sounds serious, yet I've never noticed it in the least, and I've been driving a powerstroke for 12+ years. I guess I just missed it, or the temp change here in Ga just isn't as pronounced.

Ok, after I posted that and walked down stairs I realized that I need to further explain my reasoning.

Air density does make a difference.

The other aspect is the air temperature. As the air temperature goes up, the intake temps go up. So, the air coming out of the turbo is hotter, the air running over the intercooler is hotter and the air going into the intake is hotter.

As everything heats up, the air density drops. We actually notice a difference on a 66 this summer between 75 degrees and 85 degrees. The smoke levels from the tail pipe increased 10 fold. As the temperature reaches over 100, it is extremely hard to keep the smoke levels down with larger injectors on the 6.0’s.

Back