PSC cylinder assit steering

You can build your own kit using your stock steering gear box for a LOT cheaper than that. But using that setup, even for daily driving, is so much better than stock and takes a ton of stress off of your pan hard bar.

PCS had there dodge kit on display at Texas NHRDA race looks very nice.
bf2974cde95e594a8ffda9c29fd1a19f.jpg

I used.there kit on a 80's Chevy because of large tires it wouldn't steer unless you were moving. You could steer it with one hand and it took out alot of wander at highway speeds.

Has anyone done a write up on doing this yourself? I have always thought this could make a fwd dodge drive alot better. Also are the twd and fwd steering boxes the same?

Has anyone done a write up on doing this yourself? I have always thought this could make a fwd dodge drive alot better. Also are the twd and fwd steering boxes the same?

check pirate 4x4. i'm sure there are a few on there.

Here's a good write-up of what you need to do to your box, then you just get a piston and mount it to your tie rod bar and axle.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html

These guys make kits for pretty cheap:
http://westtexasoffroad.wix.com/wtor#!hydro-steering/c66t

And I've got an AGR pump that I'm very happy with, but you need to get the old adapter off the end of your Saginaw pump and press it on. The PSC one's come with this.

Last edited:
I bought the PSC ram and then tapped my own box and had lines made. Much cheaper that way. Then I welded on tabs to the drag link and axle in about the same location the dampener was. I had 37" military tires and could steer with one finger on concrete.

I need a new steering box anyway, so Just going to order the kit. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post pics when it gets installed.

I don't know exactly what he's using but at one point Lavon Miller had a hydraulic steering setup on the dpc truck. Should be able to help you out

If it's never going to see street use, I wouldn't use a typical automotive steering box. Use their cylinder, and a steering hand pump/hydramotor/steering valve/ect. (different terminology in different industries) You have 2 lines going to the steering cylinder, and 2 lines going to the pump. They're illegal on road due to the fact that there is no mechanical connection. If a hose blows, you lose steering. New hoses are pretty reliable and failures are uncommon. I would prefer have setup on my street vehicles if it was legal.

If it's never going to see street use, I wouldn't use a typical automotive steering box. Use their cylinder, and a steering hand pump/hydramotor/steering valve/ect. (different terminology in different industries) You have 2 lines going to the steering cylinder, and 2 lines going to the pump. They're illegal on road due to the fact that there is no mechanical connection. If a hose blows, you lose steering. New hoses are pretty reliable and failures are uncommon. I would prefer have setup on my street vehicles if it was legal.

You will loose center of your steering wheel with a steering valve box though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have them with a return to center option.

Yes a return to center but the actual center of the wheel will drift over time. At Least that's how it was on some I drove. It could be maybe they were just sloppy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted something a little stronger than stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Those setups use the saginaw pump and box. I wonder if anyone has used a borgeson (delphi box) for hydro steering? I have one and its certainly different from the saginaw.

Did a little search on pirate4x4 and came up with this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge/944064-tapping-borgeson-box-etc.html

good info if anyone else has the delphi unit and wants to run an assist cylinder as well.

Wow, I really like his idea on making his knuckle a double sheer setup. I've looking into welding onto the cast knuckle and talked with Crane/CrawlerTech about it and they said it's not worth it and to just source a kingpin so I could do high steer. I might have to do this next time I'm doing ball joints!

you mean the bolt with 2 heims on that side? Theres a couple companies that sell that as parts or a full setup. Ive got Thurens it looks pretty much like the one in the pics.

I like PSC's diff cover mount for the cylinder, looks nice and stout.
One thing to think about is all the force those heims are taking from the gearbox and the assist. Might want to upgrade to larger heim or rod ends. The FK RSMX heims that came with my kit seem undersized already.

Back