Pull truck to drag truck

Drasko

Well, since ive started a family and am out of town every other week for work, my pull truck is out the window and its going back to a street/strip toy. Has anyone done a lowered 4x4 QCLB? Ive searched and searched and would like to see one before i chop mine down.

Should i keep on the Ujoint shields and what not? id like to run this thing pretty quick using my 3.0 charger as the bottom in a set of twins.

Thanks

Drasko

Are you just curious how a lowered one looks or how to do it? I think most people leave the suspension alone, except for taking a leaf out of the packs, and run better shocks.

I'd also keep the shields. I don't know the rules that well, but I think you need all the safety stuff in the faster classes. Don't quote me though.

Ive got a couple paths im looking at to lower it. Its a 1ton that ive single wheeled so lower is my main goal.

id like to see if someones done a lowered QCLB and see what it looks like

I know there are some threads with pictures of lowered 4wd's. Are you putting an auto in it since you plan on drag racing?

i think im gonna stick with a 5speed. the 96 3/4ton i bought is an auto and i cant friggin stand it! Just not my cup or tea. I know its easier and MAYBE faster but i can row some gears so thats what im sticking with.

Ive seen all the threads on here about the lowered 4wds but i like some pictures. Ive seen the one in DP and it looks damn good! Is there a difference between 2500 and 3500 leafs besides the overloads?

There's a member (CL2000) that's running 11's with his ex-cab long bed 2500.

You'll be lucky to see mid 13's if you keep the manual transmission.

If if you do manage to get a low 13, it won't happen consistently.

If this truck is going to be a weekend warrior, once in a while drag racer, you'll be happy with the manual tranny for a while. If you race regularly, you'll swap to an auto really quick!!!

Take the rear block out and you can go to napa or something and order u-bolts. Lighten it up
CompD Mobile Device

i think im gonna stick with a 5speed. the 96 3/4ton i bought is an auto and i cant friggin stand it! Just not my cup or tea. I know its easier and MAYBE faster but i can row some gears so thats what im sticking with.

Ive seen all the threads on here about the lowered 4wds but i like some pictures. Ive seen the one in DP and it looks damn good! Is there a difference between 2500 and 3500 leafs besides the overloads?

That's what I like to hear! Kep the 5 speed and row some gears! Post your times whenever you make it to the track.

You'll be lucky to see mid 13's if you keep the manual transmission.

If if you do manage to get a low 13, it won't happen consistently.

If this truck is going to be a weekend warrior, once in a while drag racer, you'll be happy with the manual tranny for a while. If you race regularly, you'll swap to an auto really quick!!!

:umno: It's all about the driver. He states he can row the gears pretty fast, so he can get 12s pretty easy with twins, a good flowing p-pump, and some weight reduction he will be just fine.

back in the day i rowed hvac's truck to the quickest of a 13.05 with a 5 sp, then he put a auto in it and it went 12.0's and would have been easily in the 11's if the boots would have stayed on.. auto's are the only way to go drag race if you want any consistancy.
my own truck back then i ran the best of 14.2 with 5sp and after breaking 5 i went to a auto went 12.67 with the same power and never broke it again other than a couple flexplates and output shaft pulling in hi range..

That's what I like to hear! Kep the 5 speed and row some gears! Post your times whenever you make it to the track.

:umno: It's all about the driver. He states he can row the gears pretty fast, so he can get 12s pretty easy with twins, a good flowing p-pump, and some weight reduction he will be just fine.

Prove me wrong.....

And I don't want to hear about your "gone but not forgotten" truck with a G56 transmission, I'm talking about a heavy slow shifting NV4500 or NV5600 transmission.

It is possible to do custom work like old Lazzar down there in Texas with custom polished/coated input shafts and such to make the clutch a little more speed shift friendly, but consistent low 13's is not going to happen and 12's will definitely not happen without wasting tons of cash on trick coatings, polishings, and internal transmission tweaks to allow for faster (not fast) shifts.

back in the day i rowed hvac's truck to the quickest of a 13.05 with a 5 sp, then he put a auto in it and it went 12.0's and would have been easily in the 11's if the boots would have stayed on.. auto's are the only way to go drag race if you want any consistancy.
my own truck back then i ran the best of 14.2 with 5sp and after breaking 5 i went to a auto went 12.67 with the same power and never broke it again other than a couple flexplates and output shaft pulling in hi range..

I too am glad I finally saw the light switched to an automatic transmission.

My 99' 4x4 nV4500 (5speed) had a dyno proven 499 rear wheel horsepower yet my best 1/4 mile was a lousy 14.40, that's with a decent 1.86' 60' time. Similar trucks with automatic transmissions were running low 13's.

hmmmmm time to either switch to an auto or start trying to break the rules and do something with a manual lol

hmmmmm time to either switch to an auto or start trying to break the rules and do something with a manual lol

It's your truck, so you can set the rules!

Just trying to give friendly advice about "drag racing".

At the big diesel events, there's usually one or two odd-balls out there trying to race their manual transmission truck in the ET class. They usually don't make it past the first round because they either botch the launch or hang up the 2/3 shift and miss their dial-in time.

Prove me wrong.....

And I don't want to hear about your "gone but not forgotten" truck with a G56 transmission, I'm talking about a heavy slow shifting NV4500 or NV5600 transmission.

It is possible to do custom work like old Lazzar down there in Texas with custom polished/coated input shafts and such to make the clutch a little more speed shift friendly, but consistent low 13's is not going to happen and 12's will definitely not happen without wasting tons of cash on trick coatings, polishings, and internal transmission tweaks to allow for faster (not fast) shifts.

Why don't you want to hear about my "gone but not forgotten" truck??? I personally like the nv5600 better anyways. I'll show you a low 12 second, if not a high 11 second nv5600 truck this year if I decide to keep my current truck and get it where I want it.

I too am glad I finally saw the light switched to an automatic transmission.

My 99' 4x4 nV4500 (5speed) had a dyno proven 499 rear wheel horsepower yet my best 1/4 mile was a lousy 14.40, that's with a decent 1.86' 60' time. Similar trucks with automatic transmissions were running low 13's.

My 05 QCSB I had with an nv5600 had less "dyno proven" hp than yours (476hp) and ran a 13.5@100mph. So guess you weren't rowing the gears fast enough.

hot damn fellers! settle the f down. its not like this is gonna be some dumb **** truck from the street that some kids driving. this thing will retain its u-joint shields and butterfly shut off and its Aeromotive belt driven fuel pump. Im a bigger fan of manuals than autos and who knows, maybe youll see me rowing some gears into the 12s or maybe it will be with an auto. I know the pros and cons to both including the ease of loading on the line with an auto.
This will be more fun than anything but hell, like ricky bobby say, " i wanna go fast!"

Why don't you want to hear about my "gone but not forgotten" truck??? I personally like the nv5600 better anyways. I'll show you a low 12 second, if not a high 11 second nv5600 truck this year if I decide to keep my current truck and get it where I want it.
Do it! I'll eat crow for sure. Just remember in order to run low 12's (I'll ignore the high 11 comment), you'll have to build one of the top (2) fastest manual transmission dodge trucks ever. Just keep that in mind as you "decide to keep your truck", and set the world on fire with your manual transmission race truck.

My 05 QCSB I had with an nv5600 had less "dyno proven" hp than yours (476hp) and ran a 13.5@100mph. So guess you weren't rowing the gears fast enough.
I'll admit, 13.5 is pretty quick. Let me guess how many times you went that fast, once! Let me guess what you ran on your next pass, mid 14's. It is not possible to run consistently quick with a NV4500 or NV5600 transmission.

I'll admit, 13.5 is pretty quick. Let me guess how many times you went that fast, once! Let me guess what you ran on your next pass, mid 14's. It is not possible to run consistently quick with a NV4500 or NV5600 transmission.

Nope next pass was IIRC was a 13.9. I tried launching harder and spun all 4 tires pretty good, but the mph was still 100. I only had the truck to the track 1 time with those mods. Smarty only it ran a 14.1@ 95mph.

Do it! I'll eat crow for sure. Just remember in order to run low 12's (I'll ignore the high 11 comment), you'll have to build one of the top (2) fastest manual transmission dodge trucks ever. Just keep that in mind as you "decide to keep your truck", and set the world on fire with your manual transmission race truck.

Well my "gone but not forgotten" truck, as you refer to it, ran a 12.6 weighing in at 8200lbs, which I believe is top 4-5 fastest. The fastest manual right now, that DMax weighs about 6200lbs I believe and I was only 65hp more than him when I ran that time. I never could launch my megacab tho, only pulling 1.9 60ft times. And I was pretty consistent with that truck, with multiple 12.7 runs.

And I never said anything about being consistent, just wanna be fast!

Last edited:
Back