Pulling in Sand, looking for input

Cummins610

Rookie
Hello, we're planning to make a pulling track where there is mostly a sand base, there is some clay mixed in but not a lot. What can be expected for a track that is sandy? What would the best track prep be?

Trying to make the best track with the area we have, thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mud terrains. You want an aggressive tire that digs into the sand rather than skim the surface.

I can't imagine anything getting enough traction to get the sled moving before your sitting on the axles.

Yeah I don't know of any tire that does well in sand pulling a sled? When we get into sand hills at work and gotta move em when I take my diesel pickup in there it takes everything it has not to get stuck just pulling itself.

That would suck for pullers to have to go out and buy another set of tires just to pull on one track! Is hauling in clay out of the question?

Alright, does anyone have input on the best actual track prep? Like the little moisture the better or soak it down then let dry? We're looking at getting more clay in

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we get the pleasure of pulling mostly on sand, rodeo arenas mostly..
lots of water helps but mostly plan on doing as much maintinence as possible during the event. minimum of between classes run a box scraper and a roller. If it were me i would do that after every truck then you will have the same track for everyone.. depends on how good you want it to be and how much time you have and how many trucks/classes..
also i use cooper discovery tires, they work good enough in sand to have broke one hub and two front axles last year.. but true sand tires work better ie mickey thompsons..

Lots of water, roller, hard place for the sled to sit and possible down hill start. That is if the sand is real beach sandy. We had a track for years that was 100% sand.

Last edited:
Pure sand will be poor show IMO. You're gonna have to get a good amount of clay/silty/soil so it'll compact & stay compacted.

The FL boys have done well with boggers I believe. Same for west coast guys I think.

Good luck.

Back