Pulling insurance

DarrenKrueger

STRAIGHT SIX SLED PULLER
Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover your truck while pulling, my insurance company sent me a letter saying my truck is not covered in any kind or motor sport.

We got ours covered as recreational use only. The only thing we had to argue about with them is how far from home we could go. It was originally only 50 miles from home.

How did they know? What exactly are you wanting them to cover?

You can insure your hair if you want to, but your going to pay for it. Unless you get rear ended by the sled I can't see where an insurance company would come into play. Unless your wanting them to cover an engine failure, which I'm sure they would be happy to do but I'd think it would be cheaper to cover it yourself rather than pay the hefty premiums of a motorsport policy. I wonder what Travis Pastrana's health/life insurance premium's are?:bow:

Drag racers might be interested in a policy, cause they could have a collision on the track.

Around here in MD, certain insurance companies have somehow found their clients vehicles at race tracks on test-n-tune nights, snapped photos of the car racing and showing the tag number, then send them a letter, along with the photo and tell them they have been cancelled for participating in these activities. I don't know how legal it is, or how they get away with it, but a few local camaro/trans am guys I know from another site got nailed about 2 years ago.

So I should pull my plates before runnin down the track? :hehe:

I know mine said no cause it is being done at sactioned events with cash winnings. I dare bet Garrett if they knew you could win $ they would drop ya.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here- if you can't cover losses out of your pocket, then you shouldn't be competing.

Unless you get rear ended by the sled I can't see where an insurance company would come into play. [/URL]

I can see the meeting with the adjuster...

"I kept telling the a$$hole to go around me but he kept riding my bumper and then hit me when I stopped" lol

I know we had some guys around my area looking to get insurance in case something happened where their truck caused an injury to people in the crowd i.e. parts flying off and hitting people. The only way you get that kind of insurance is if you are part of a sanctioned class that carries insurance. You might be able to get it on your own but I'm sure it would be expensive.

hey darren i am looking into it right now. i have a conection that is going to try to pull some strings. i will call you as soon as i find something out.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here- if you can't cover losses out of your pocket, then you shouldn't be competing.
?
Theres a select few on here that have no idea what there talking about and no intention of helping out a fellow competitor. I guess joe farmer has never been to a pull that requires proof of insurance, but i do go to a few and was just wondering what i could do to make sure i was legal to pull, and make sure i was covered while going down the track. I have more than enough to fix my rig if it breaks, but theres probably few of us on here that have the money to cover a kid in the stands getting hit in the head by a busted u-joint. JF: From hear on out think about what your sayin while your typing it, if not im sure theres an s-10 forum around here where they say dumb stuff all day that would be glad to have ya:hehe:

Best insurance is to have all the safety equipment as possible. Ujoint shields, kill switches!

It's getting to and from the events while my junk is on the trailor that scares me most, lots of wierd drivers out there. My wife says we are covered for anything on the trailor.

BBD

It's getting to and from the events while my junk is on the trailor that scares me most, lots of wierd drivers out there. My wife says we are covered for anything on the trailor.

BBD

I have a friend at Progressive and this is what she said (assuming street vehicle here with standard license/insurance):

Being trailered to the track: no problem, your policy applies the same as if you were driving it.

At the track: SOL, fahgettaboutit. On your own.

Where it gets fuzzy for me is:
a) for BBD, it's not streetable, so no license / registration / etc. so I would assume that getting a "normal" insurance policy is difficult or impossible. So on the way to the track would be a real liability.

b) how do you value the thing appropriately? With all the stuff on my truck, even if they gave me 100% KBB, I'm still way way out on accessories.

So for the street truck with a normal policy, you would need to go looking for some type of accessory coverage.

For BBD I have no idea what you do except go looking for a special competition vehicle policy (at a wicked rate I'm sure).

When you look at the dollar values involved, it would be a huge plus if NADM / NHRDA / DHRA etc. would be able to provide some form of coverage.

Personally I could swallow damage to my vehicle, but like was said above, little Johnny in the stands, that's a real problem. You would hope that the promoter's rules on safety equipment would get you out of any criminal prosecution, but a civil case (i.e. wrongful death) could bury any/all of us.

Food for thought!

?
Theres a select few on here that have no idea what there talking about and no intention of helping out a fellow competitor. I guess joe farmer has never been to a pull that requires proof of insurance, but i do go to a few and was just wondering what i could do to make sure i was legal to pull, and make sure i was covered while going down the track. I have more than enough to fix my rig if it breaks, but theres probably few of us on here that have the money to cover a kid in the stands getting hit in the head by a busted u-joint. JF: From hear on out think about what your sayin while your typing it, if not im sure theres an s-10 forum around here where they say dumb stuff all day that would be glad to have ya:hehe:

Thanks for the kind words, Darren. I understand what you're saying about the crowd, but the event promoter's insurance takes care of the crowd coverage. Your towing vehicle's insurance takes care of the truck on the trailer on the way there. The only insurance you may need to consider is a umbrella policy to cover anything in excess of the event coverage, which is likely to be >2M anyway.

And, FWIW, I have participated in drag races and pulls where insurance cards were required. They weren't for coverage, they were to prove it was a street-driven truck.

I would think another reason insurance would be wanted was if there was a theft of your vehicle while at an event. Some crooks are pretty brave and can pull off just about any theft anywhere.

Back