Pulling Questions

Grapevine

THE GRAPE!
Hooked for the first time last weekend and everything went pretty good. Took a shot in the dark at what gear and didnt do to bad but i think it was a little much. NV5600 left in 4th gear and i had 0 control over my clutch after it started grabbing and from there it just rode itself out lol. i am running 4-4100 rpms and i believe when i glanced down i was running 33-3400 after i got moving and pulled right at 240' for 3rd place in 2.6. Ive looked at the chart and dont know how many mph i should shoot for? im running 35" tires also. 4th 4lo calls for 31mph and the next slowest gear is 3rd 4lo @21mph then to 1st 4hi also at 21? Other than trial and error i dont know which to use. i do know if i keep using 4th i wont have a clutch haha. Thanks in advance, Brandon.

There's a lot of factors to look at before deciding what you should be shooting for in RPMs and what your capable of with the setup you have now. What clutch and the condition of the clutch your using and what gears are in your truck will decide on what your capable of. One person might pull in fourth and one might pull in fifth but everyone's setup is going to be different. If you can give a little more specifics on setup you have would help someone else help you.

3.55 gears, 35" tires, nv5600, full ceramic dd valair, 64/71/.85, 200's, comp box untapped, redline, studs, Springs, pushrods, etc..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Your on borrowed time with that clutch and you must get lower R&P gears or get ready to start replacing driveline prts. With your setup and that tire size 4:56 or 4:88 will help you a lot. Street driving will suffer tho. If anything trade someone for some 4:10's.

Last edited:
Yea it's my dd truck lol ill just pull 3rd 4lo. I drive it to the shop race at the strip and starting to pull the sled can't be good at everything but in trying

for pulling you want to try and stay with 4th gear...3rd gear s the weakest gear in that trany. drop to a 33" tire and try 4th.(borrow a set of 33s for a test run)
you should be able to get down the track with a smaller tire without sacrificing too much on dd and towing
from their i would go to a 4.10 gear and play with tire sizes 35s/33s .

5th is direct but that **** ain't happening lol 3800# plate is what I'm running

I asked a friend before I made that comment about the gears just to make sure I had good info and he said that it was 3rd . Same as the nv4500. I wasent sure because the 5600 has 6 gears. I would still say use 4th gear and try adjusting tire size to try and keep the dd reasonable,without diving into major adjustments.

Its the smallest gear on the shaft. I would consider it the weakest. now whether or not it breaks is a different story

I won't sacrifice my ability to dd and tow to be able to sled pull. I'm content with how it pulled just don't know what I will lose by dropping to 3rd low or 1st high. If I can day drive go to the track and run a mid 13 and pull nearly 250' in 2.6 I'm happy!

I would doubt I'm making enough power to break this tranny but I've seen stranger things happen

i can tell you from experience you can pull somewhat safe under 600 hp. around 700 to 750 hp the g56 will come apart. Dont know exactly where the breaking point is but i know 750 will get it done for you third or fourth gear.when you get a 2.6 charger you should be over 750.Here comes the fun part$

Last edited:
I say stay with the set up you have til it breaks. I loved pulling/dd my 3.55 gears. I would go back if everyone didn't tell me I'm making more power with lower gears. I pulled the setup you have in my truck for three years and switch when I started breaking axle every other pull.

i can tell you from experience you can pull somewhat safe under 600 hp. around 700 to 750 hp the g56 will come apart. Dont know exactly where the breaking point is but i know 750 will get it done for you third or fourth gear.when you get a 2.6 charger you should be over 750.Here comes the fun part$

Still running a g56. Way north of 750. Been in the truck for 2seasons behind a sintered iron triple disk

Back