Pulling semi problems

DieselJeep52

Cummins Converter
Not real sure where to post and who can help, so please give some direction. I've got an 84 cabover pete with a 350 big cam cummins. made my first pull with it sunday night went bout 276, only reason i made it that far was thanks to the old propane keepin my ass goin. problem is im not getting **** for fuel. First night we had the pump turned up it would leave a cloud of black from here to the next town and torqued on the frame hard. now we dont have **** for fuel, horrible response, and hardly anywhere close to what we had before. im having to fil the filters to get the thing to fire because it is bleeding off. the filters on it were dirty as hell and we have new filters on now. not sure if maybe something did get in the pump. I would like to get another pull this weekend if possible otherwise probably just cut the thing up.

What kind of lift pump(s) are you running? Sounds like possibly a fuel supply problem pre-pump.

sounds like you have an air leak in a fuel line somewhere, change the main fuel line and only run it off one tank.DD

The lowboy i used to drive started sucking air where the throttle shaft goes into the pump. Do the rpm's hang up when you go to shift it?

Track the fuel line back to the tank. If there are any spots that are as much as damp it could suck air.

well after the second night of working on it, it wouldnt start up. that is when we discovered the fuel filters were wasted, so we did change those out, but not getting the fuel that we were gettin initially, and then sunday afternoon prior to pulling it we made sure we had no fuel line leaks back to the tank, and even put on a new fuel line from tank to the pump. the thing is dead off the line, i get no response till i get to about 1800-2000 rpms, and i think it has life there only because of our custom ZERO fuel button.
Speaking of the throttle shaft, i have this to say. yes it does seem to hang on the rpms. WE drilled that little ball out to adjust our AFC on the pump, but we could not get the screw to move, so what we did to still give us the low end fuel was we put a pressure regulated air hose on to it instead of the line off the manifold, so we were able to keep afc working like it had full boost at all times. Cause when we first cranked it up we couldnt get the fuel to the low end, because these turbos are super slow, but the extra fuel sure does help spool it up quicker now.
other than the real slow response, it loses its prime like i said earlier, and the idle is sorta rough, it will almost die out and then idle up, then back on down.

Hopefully this helps some more. I appreciate all of your guy's help!!!

i wouldnt give up yet. You have it might as well pull it while your at it. as for what to do to fix your problem, no ideas othe rthan whats been said.

HA! i thought about cutting the top off too, but then a guy made me an offer on it yesterday. so the cabover is going. Im keeping my eye out for another. This semi pulling stuff is pretty sweet lol

You need to put a pressure gauge on it and see what kind of fuel pressure you are running. You might not have much pressure till you get to the higher rpms. A pusher pump would not hurt.

Sounds like the truck had been sittin for a while? I would have to say the pick up line in the tank has a hole in it suckin air. moisture sits in the top of the tank and rust a hole through it.

By the way DeiselJeep the Motor and trans i got from you runs great, Thanks!

Back