Pulling with a manual

bigsexy7.3

So this is my first season pulling with a manual and everyone has there opinion on how you take off and I was just curious to see what works best for you all. Dump and run or ride it out? I know slipping the clutch requires a good clutcj and im running a new south bend dual disk pulling clutch

Triple disc clutch works the best.
How you leave the line depends on your power level. Trucks that have enough power to blow the tires off may need to ride out a little. In order to get the tuck hooked.
Most 2.6 trucks on a good track can leave quickly under full power.

Last edited:
It also depends on track conditions. You can leave under full power if it's a tight track, or slip it if it's loose.

Most of ours is sandy to fairly packed but nothing like the hard clay tracks back east and im running a little over 600. Normally the way I leave is bring it up to 4k and come off the clutch enough to feel the.load and the dump and run. We were also talking.about rpms based on where you leave the line but I feel like weather I leave at 4k or 4500 my rpms would drop to whereever it wants to regardless of how I take off

Most of ours is sandy to fairly packed but nothing like the hard clay tracks back east and im running a little over 600. Normally the way I leave is bring it up to 4k and come off the clutch enough to feel the.load and the dump and run. We were also talking.about rpms based on where you leave the line but I feel like WEATHER I leave at 4k or 4500 my rpms would drop to whereever it wants to regardless of how I take off

Gear ratio plays a big role but I believe you have already be told that.
Also weather doesn't really have anything to do with it. :lolly:

Well the weather could have a lot to do with it, whether or not it is raining could change driving habits....

I've never pulled a 2.6 truck before and probably never will. But in my opinion many 2.6 drivers blow the tires off too early. I think to much ground speed is lost blowing the tires off early.

Gears are my next big purchase. I just wish they made 4.56 gears but im gonna go to 4.88. It just sucks I bought new tires and if I go to 4.88s im gonna have to get 35in tires.

Also at 600hp 4:88 and 35's are going to be tough to maintain decent rpm down the track.

If I can id like to.keep my 285s as.long.as I can and see how it.likes it. Yeah I think im gonna try riding it.one tire revolution and see how it compares to my dump in run. Also whats a good rpm.to.bring.it up to before taking off?

Leave at 5000-5200, dips to 3600-3800, carry 4100-4300 down track. 4.88 gears, 35" bfg.

I'm going to sound dumb but how are u guys reving that high.mine I don't think will go passed 4.5 k

Back