Pulling with an automatic

bigsexy7.3

I've always pulled with manuals in my Dodges and Auto with my Ford. My buddy has a decent built truck he wants to pull work stock with but he's running a built auto. With his 3.55s he tried 3rd and didn't seem to get up in the rpm. The truck now has 4.10s in it and I was wondering what gear he should start in? If I was to pick it I'd say 2nd just like I do with my Ford but I wanted to get your thoughts

What kind of rpm will it turn? What would you say he makes for power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I ran my built auto and had 4.10s of start it first and go up to 3rd. Had a ratchet shifter. Sometimes 3rd would be to much and not get enough rpm.

sorry meant for the op. I have pulled very little and two completely different set ups as far as fuel and air. 1st time it hung at 3300 unlocked and the second was 4k locked.

5x15s injectors, 4k springs, 191 d.v. fass, 3 piece manifold ans a aurora 3000 for a turbo and valve springs. The only reason for the 3000 is thats what our work stock allows for work stock. We're allowed a 59mm aftermarket turbo. We installed a lock up switch but it's for some reason not working right. I was told his 96 has to have the ecm flashed to work right.

I had a built auto with a lock up switch in mine when I pulled work stock, and as strange as it sounds, best it ever pulled was putting it in drive, and not touching the lock up switch. I had 3.55s as well.

He didn't pay much attention to the rpm on his last pull but he wasn't turning enough with the 3.55. I'm not 100% on timing yet it's still stock and I'm gonna be bumping it up tonight and I'm thinking 22. What do you guys suggest? He only pulls with it

When I pulled an auto I started in the gear below 1:1 and after I left the line shifted to 1:1 and locked the converter. I ran a true 66mm SB with 3.73s and 33" tires. If he can't keep the rpms up with 3.55s and 265/75 I fel like something else is the issue like the converter is way too tight and he's leaving the line at some really low rpms.

I run 2nd locked in mine I have 3.55 gears and 33" tires 3rd is to much maybe on a loose track it would work but its never worked out for me.

Drove it for the first time with the gears and timing bumped to 25. She runs better and I'm thinking of starting him in 2nd and have him shift to 3rd

on my cr with 3.73 and 35" tires. I left the line in 2nd gear 4 low, hit the lock up switch and then shifted into drive. At the end of the track unlocked the convertor.

So we tried both ways Friday and Saturday. The truck seem to like starting in 2nd and shifting to 3rd. He was about 3500 rpm at the end of the track

We installed a lock up switch but it's for some reason not working right. I was told his 96 has to have the ecm flashed to work right.

The switch bypasses the ECM, so that shouldn't be the issue. Just make sure you've got a really good ground running to that wire and you're golden. The better the ground, the more consistent the lockup timing. When I first hooked up mine I had it tied into other junk and a thin wire (maybe 20ga?). I redid it with a relay and 14ga to the battery (just to be sure) and it was night and day difference. Before ti seemed to lock when it felt like it, now it locks about .5 seconds after I hit it (assuming that's the amount of time for pressure to build).

When I pulled an auto I started in the gear below 1:1 and after I left the line shifted to 1:1 and locked the converter. I ran a true 66mm SB with 3.73s and 33" tires. If he can't keep the rpms up with 3.55s and 265/75 I fel like something else is the issue like the converter is way too tight and he's leaving the line at some really low rpms.

You've got a 66 and he's got a 59 though. You've probably got the power to keep RPMs up on most hookups.

The switch bypasses the ECM, so that shouldn't be the issue. Just make sure you've got a really good ground running to that wire and you're golden. The better the ground, the more consistent the lockup timing. When I first hooked up mine I had it tied into other junk and a thin wire (maybe 20ga?). I redid it with a relay and 14ga to the battery (just to be sure) and it was night and day difference. Before ti seemed to lock when it felt like it, now it locks about .5 seconds after I hit it (assuming that's the amount of time for pressure to build).

You've got a 66 and he's got a 59 though. You've probably got the power to keep RPMs up on most hookups.
I didn't read the entire thing. The early production 96 pcm has to be flashed to function with a lockup switch. It will buck and jump and flop if you don't.

I just disconnected the switch for now. Hopefully the new ppump gets here's before the next pull to try and see that'll help

Back