Pump seal on tranny keeps leakin

oldsmokey97

Besides my 97... I have a '95 with a built tranny (by me and a buddy of mine) and the front pump seal keeps leakin. It has been leakin for about a month. I had to add about three to four quarts a week. Well.... this past weekend... we replaced it again and today i noticed that it is leaking BAD again.
The only thing that i know of that can keep making this seal leak is that something is out of balance. Oh... by the way.. when we replaced it this last time.. we put in new convertor in and the front seal started leakin three days later. ANY suggestions?

Lance

pump can be bad as well. Had one on a turbo400 do the same exact thing pump fixed it

Flex plate run-out ok?

havent checked.

the only thing that i can think of is that either flex plate or TC are floppin around. Which me puttin in a new NC kinda omits that problem so... it must be in the TC or something else.

Lance

Did you replace the pump bushing?

Are you sure that it is coming from the seal on the front of the pump? Don't forget that pressurized oil goes through the paper gasket that goes between the pump and the transmission case. I haven't had one leak on a torqueflite, but I have seen them leak on some other trannys.

Pressure test to make sure the pump is working. May be need new pump or seal kit. Check Input shaft bearing make sure its good. Also check the case for cracks. They have been know to crack in that area.

also..... one more question..

for the last month or so.. i have noticed that it felt like the TC was slipping. WOuld not shift hard or hold anything over 1/2 in overdrive. THis is a stock truck with 215 pump with plate and 4kgsk. So ... nothin special.
I thought the convertor was slipping somehow so... this past weekend i put a pump seal in and put a 2disk (i believe) from Roadrunner convertors and it is a brand new convertor.
And even after new convertor...... it is still slipping with lockup switch.
I lock it up as soon as it hits 2nd gear and the shifts are not firm and the convertor slips pretty bad under load.

Question is.. what is causing this? Is there some kinda pressure adjustment that one could make to the valve body or somethin like that. The valvebody in there is a racing valve body from DTT so it should be pretty good. but why is a brand new convertor slipping??

Lance

any suggestions on why the brand new convertor is slipping.

P.S. got to looking at it today and it was a line leaking that i thought was pump seal

But anyways i have no idea why the convertor is slipping with 100 easy miles on her.

Lance

did you replace the sealing washers under the pump bolts ? If you haven't change them, it will leak for sure ! New washers eatch time you take the pump out, that's the trick !!

did you replace the sealing washers under the pump bolts ? If you haven't change them, it will leak for sure ! New washers eatch time you take the pump out, that's the trick !!

I found and fixed the leak.... but my problem now is that the convertor does not hold to any power and it is brand new.
I have a lockup pressure problem somewhere and i was looking for suggestions. COuld it be the solenoids themselves??

Lance

it very well may be .. but i dont think so. I mean when i flip the switch... it still locks up but i just can hold any power. Its like the lockup clutch in the convertor is not getting adequate pressure that it needs to hold tight without slipping under load.

Lance

Get a line pressure gauge on the pressure ports and report your findings.

i will this weekend but...... is there a port to check JUST pressure going to lockup??

Lance

p.s. it is progressively getting worse

Whats your line pressure unlocked and locked up? Use the center port on the passenger side. Do you feel any partial lockup at all? If not check cooler flow during lockup by jacking the rear up and have somebody run the truck and try to pinch off the cooler hose and try to manualy lock it up. You should feel a pressure rise in the line. If not drop the pan and check to see if the spring is holding the front valve on the drivers side of the valve body in. (lockup valve). This should give you something to check. Hope it helps and you find your problem.

Whats your line pressure unlocked and locked up? Use the center port on the passenger side. Do you feel any partial lockup at all? If not check cooler flow during lockup by jacking the rear up and have somebody run the truck and try to pinch off the cooler hose and try to manualy lock it up. You should feel a pressure rise in the line. If not drop the pan and check to see if the spring is holding the front valve on the drivers side of the valve body in. (lockup valve). This should give you something to check. Hope it helps and you find your problem.

I do feel it lock up. SO.. that part is working. It just does not hold the torque like it should when i give it the fuel. It is almost like haveing a 500hp truck running a stock clutch. When the turbo lights (even with just giving it about half throttle) the convertor slips.
that is what brings me to a pressure problem somewhere.
I will be checking pressures this weekend.

Lance

Back