Pushing the limits of the rules versus breaking them

takedown95

I'm all for guys taking advantage of rules or lack there of as long as it's in the spirit of competition such as:

Rule states-Must have a radiator in stock location and stock size. Someone runs a filled block. Rule doesn't state anything about having to run coolant.

But I've seen two instances lately were there is blatant cheating.

Rule states-Must run OEM rear-end housing available on a 1 ton or smaller truck. I've heard and saw pictures of trucks running a 106 rear end housing with a dana 80 cover and saying it's a dana 80.

Rule states-#1 or #2 diesel only, bio diesel permitted. Three super stock trucks were DQ'ed this weekend according to NTPA because their fuel didn't pass.

Just wondering what others thoughts were?

What was wrong with the diesel fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposedly the fuel was straight from the fuel station pump...I think their testing tools were in question. Not like fuel would make much of a difference in that class anyways.

Guess I will have to look in to fuel more. I didn't think there was much you could do to diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some 90s Chevy 3500hd trucks came with rockwell c103s. they were sold as 1tons so technically those are legal to use. I never understood why more people don't use them in 2.6

Last edited:
What class and association are you refering to for the radiator rule. Some rule books i have seen dont mention anything about a radiator or running coolant.

I dont understand the point of this joke of a fuel test. It says pump #1,2 is legal yet neither will pass this test.

Radiator rule seems obsolete to me.

What class and association are you refering to for the radiator rule. Some rule books i have seen dont mention anything about a radiator or running coolant.

I was referring to before they pulled it from the rulebook. That's not really the point of the thread. That was just a reference.

I dont understand the point of this joke of a fuel test. It says pump #1,2 is legal yet neither will pass this test.

I've been tested 3 times in 3 years by NTPA and never had a problem passing using straight #2 out of the pump. I have no idea what happened this past weekend but if the test is a joke why did at least four other trucks pass?

Do you expect trucks to get fuel from all the same exact stations. Some stations use additives and can affect this test its been proven before. Do you pull the superstock class? I dont believe you do so why does it even concern you. Say someone shows up with 6 36/14.5 sts tires or 6 375 mtz tires at a ppl 2.6. I bet there would be a ton of people complaining before the pull even started even though its completely legal. Its not pushing the limits i see a problem its people not even knowimg the rules of the classes because all they do is drive a truck down the track.

Last edited:
Some 90s Chevy 3500hd trucks came with rockwell c103s. they were sold as 1tons so technically those are legal to use. I never understood why more people don't use them in 2.6

I didn't know this, do you have a VIN # of 1 of these trucks

Do you expect trucks to get fuel from all the same exact stations. Some stations use additives and can affect this test its been proven before. Do you pull the superstock class? I dont believe you do so why does it even concern you. Say someone shows up with 6 36/14.5 sts tires or 6 375 mtz tires at a ppl 2.6. I bet there would be a ton of people complaining before the pull even started even though its completely legal. Its not pushing the limits i see a problem its people not even knowimg the rules of the classes because all they do is drive a truck down the track.

How are 36's legit? The rule is 35's and under. On the sidewall not how your tape measures.

Well look at that PPL sucks at writing rules even more then I thought. They have it in for 3.0 but not the 2.6. Hell why stop at 36's break out the 44's

Well look at that PPL sucks at writing rules even more then I thought. They have it in for 3.0 but not the 2.6. Hell why stop at 36's break out the 44's

ppl 2.6 hasnt had a tire size limit for a few years. Not that i would suggest showing up with 6 of those tires i was just making a point hoping someone would bite. However i would show up with 4 tires of either i posted above at any ppl pull and run against 6 35s. But instantly someone will say four 36s or 14.5-15.5 wide tires are illegal but their 4 35s on the rear is perfectly fine.

Do you expect trucks to get fuel from all the same exact stations. Some stations use additives and can affect this test its been proven before. Do you pull the superstock class? I dont believe you do so why does it even concern you.

I don't expect them to get all the fuel from the same station but I would guess most don't put straight from the pump #2 in their tanks with nothing else added, at least not at SS level. Also, regardless of where they get their fuel don't you think it the competitor's job to make sure they meet the rules? I don't pull SS, I pull in prostock where the fuel rules are the exact same. Again that was just an example to start the discussion.

Back