Put DD clutch in...now wont start

Smokinrebel

Did a manual swap in truck couple weeks ago and needed clutch, so got a SB 3600 DD last week, we tore truck apart yesterday to put clutch in and ran into problem #1, needed starter spacer. So we got a spacer and put it all back together, went to start truck and all i get is a click. The starter is hitting flywheel but wont turn. I know the flywheel and clutch will spin, it spun when we tightened bolts on clutch and flywheel. Also, we pulled starter off and it spins and gear comes out as if it was going to catch flywheel. But when its all together all i get is a click....Any ideas? I got the spacer from boy we know that took his manual out of pulling truck and put it auto.

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks Brian

Try to turn the flywheel a little bit, it may be hitting a tooth and not coming all the way out.

its almost is like maybe spacer isn't think enough...im not sure if there were different size spacers though

I had to spin with a barring tool while pulling the started gear out. It took about a dozen teeth on the flywheel before it finally caught and lined up correctly

Well...figured it out....feel dumb even admitting this but here it goes....wrong clutch...got it used from guy figures it was the right one and even few of my buddies said I was good to go...but its not. Its for a NV 5600 I'm guessing. Its hitting bell housing which is binding it up....live and learn I guess...feel like dumb a$$ for a bit

That shouldn't make a difference. You can run either clutch with either Trans just depends if you need the starter spacer or not. It should not hit the bell housing. Something doesn't add up.

Some trans you need to grind the bellhousing a little your not th first guy with that problem.

Wish i would have seen this earlier. Ran into the same issue when i ordered a 3600 SB DD for my 5 speed. They sent me one for an nv5600. Locked up tight. Only took about 10 min to figure out the issue. Also once it was resolved i had to run the finger style pressure plate which made the clutch twice as hard to push in. Very unhappy with the setup. If i could do it again i would get the 3250 because it is the better style PP.

Last I talked to Peter all they make are six speed flywheels. They said its easier to just build one flywheel. I know they have been using diaphragm style pp instead of the four finger but I have not seen any issues unless they have made some changes since the last one I put in.

For a normal dd clutch? I run a weighted triple disc with a six speed flywheel in mine and a didn't have to grind nothing

Yes it varies by casting I have a used sb dd built for a g56 in my nv4500 and from what I've heard some people have trouble, others don't. I bolted the bellhousing on mine before I put the trans in and spun the engine to be sure. Mine only cleared by a couple thousanths so if the support ribs on the inside are a little deeper it would be enough to hit.

Wish i would have seen this earlier. Ran into the same issue when i ordered a 3600 SB DD for my 5 speed. They sent me one for an nv5600. Locked up tight. Only took about 10 min to figure out the issue. Also once it was resolved i had to run the finger style pressure plate which made the clutch twice as hard to push in. Very unhappy with the setup. If i could do it again i would get the 3250 because it is the better style PP.

Give me a call and I will send you one.

Peter

We use to have two styles of 3600 pressure plates one of which would only fit in the 5600 cleanly and G56 with a little web grinding but would not fit in the 4500 do to bell housing. We have since done away with that style of 3600 do to problems such as this. It is always good to call the manufacture with questions instead of buddy's. LOL

Peter

Yeah your right. A few of my buddies have dealt with you peter, and have nothing but great things to say, wish i would have done a little more research before i dished out the $$ for it.

Is there anything i can do with it to make it work? Or should i just sell it off.

Yeah your right. A few of my buddies have dealt with you peter, and have nothing but great things to say, wish i would have done a little more research before i dished out the $$ for it.

Is there anything i can do with it to make it work? Or should i just sell it off.

Heck no don't sell it. Call me and we will get it set up right for you.

Peter
800-988-4345

Give me a call and I will send you one.

Peter

Have sold the truck since then. Clutch did what it was designed to do. Held lots of power, just stiff to push in. Didn't bother me much tho because i rarely pushed the clutch in.

Outstanding offer. If i own another manual i wont hesitate to call you and run another.

Back