Put new turbo on and cannot raise boost pressure

Mr. Rollin Coal

i just put on my super b special 64/71 and i cannot get it to boost past 38-40 psi i even blocked wastgeate and its still the same any ideas what it could be. Pretty positive i have no boost leak eaither

agreed... where the elbow clamps to the turbo is a key spot on the 2nd gens. I often have to dress down the diameter of the inner seating lip with a file to get it to properly seat into the compressor housing

I would try shortening the wastegate actuator rod two turns. The rod end is threaded so all you have to do is remove the c-clip, pop the end free from the wastegate arm, loosen the 13mm nut, and turn the rod end two turns shorter.

Sometimes a little compressed air blown into the wastegate actuator will help extend the rod so it's easy to reinstall.

i dont know, i have a little less fuel than you do, unless your holdin back the fuel with a plate, but i dont have a problem pushin past 40 psi with my mods, i still have the 181 in mine too? dont know if the bigger turbo is holdin the pressure down or not. how does it feel at 40? good and stout or like your missin somthin? clearin the fuel as good as i think your sayin sounds to me like its doin just fine.

i completely pluggeed the waste gate today and its a 100 degrees where im at and it will only hit 35psi so i obviously have a good boost leak somewhere wonder if i popped my intercooler? im gonna hook up a shrader valve to it right now and see what the deal is

First check the cooler for leaks. Find a shop with universal test kit. It's a 20 minute job. A truck shop or dealer in Fresno should be able to do it. Even better go down to Brown's. Industry standard leak down test is pressurize to 30, watch for more than a 5 pound drop in 15 seconds. If more the cooler is bad. This is an average for diesel truck coolers. With a pickup you may want less leakage. Then maybe put a new set of charge-air hoses on it if they are old or suspect.

Also check the bolts in the intake plate coming loose or gone. Seen that quite a few times to. But i'll bet forest is probably right.

Also check the bolts in the intake plate coming loose or gone. Seen that quite a few times to. But i'll bet forest is probably right.

thats where mine leaked the worst..and all the clamps on the btm naturally are the worst leakers since theyre the worst to git to

97 single cab is the one with the right answer i made my own intake manifold out of stainless and the plate warped so it was leaking there pretty good.
I put the stocker on with a new gasket and went for a test drive and boost went down to 30psi and the i got really frustrated.
I thought maybe my boos gauge took a sh** so i pulled the a pilliar off and the line going to the gauge was popped off almost all the way so i super glued it on and all is good now.

Back