Putting 12 valve on engine stand.

G1625S

What are you all using for hardware to secure the engine to the stand? Grade 5? Grade 8? Seems like a lotta weight hangin out there and I want to choose proper fasteners. Stand is 2k lb capacity so I should be good there. Engine is fully assembled minus alt. Thanks for any input.

I took 4 head bolts and cut, I believe, and inch to inch and a half off to fit secure. Been holding just fine

Use the medium length head bolts or 24v head bolts. They work mint. I used 5/8 nuts as spacers one on of my stands because the bolts were a hair too long.

We've used head bolts with sockets for spacers.

A word of warning. Be careful with it rolling it around. A friend of mine dumped his when a wheel hit a gravel or something on the floor. It was not pretty.

I used standard grade 5. Hung there for a few months. But hindsight probably should've spent the money on 4 grade 8 bolts.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

I used standard grade 5. Hung there for a few months. But hindsight probably should've spent the money on 4 grade 8 bolts.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

I would've spent the money on metric bolts instead.

If you have access to fab tools, make a plate to bolt to the side of the block. Much sturdier and IMO easier to work on.

I use the side of the block, 4 old head bolts with cam follower rollers from a K as spacers between the block and the stand plate.

Attachments

• engine stand.jpg
    engine stand.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
^ I did it just like that guy. Harbor freight "H.D." engine stand. Fits the side of the block well. Had to drill one hole out in the engine stand plate.

I use the side of the block, 4 old head bolts with cam follower rollers from a K as spacers between the block and the stand plate.

Did that hold it well? I was planning on doing the same thing but a fully dressed 6BT hanging on just that mount doesn't jive well with me. I bought an engine stand that looks almost the same, but I was planning on a mount on the other side for the other engine mount.

For how cheap bolts are I would buy high grade bolts. I built a plate with a tube sticking out of it so I could use all the adapter plate bolts on the engine. Just for piece of mind

I bought a Twister stand from K&S a Steel Products. Kenny sells a Cummins adapter plate that bolts to the side of the engine.

Did that hold it well? I was planning on doing the same thing but a fully dressed 6BT hanging on just that mount doesn't jive well with me. I bought an engine stand that looks almost the same, but I was planning on a mount on the other side for the other engine mount.

It held a couple of fully dressed 12v and 24v's. I added 2x2 square tubing to the upright post for added strength

We've used head bolts with sockets for spacers.

A word of warning. Be careful with it rolling it around. A friend of mine dumped his when a wheel hit a gravel or something on the floor. It was not pretty.

^^ been there done that... unfortunately.

I've always considered building a small cart that would sort of cradle the engine 2 uprights that would bolt to both sides of the block. Just as if it were mounted between frame rails of a truck. Rotating it might be a different story but probably still possible with some parts from a generic engine stand.

Going to put the cummins on my northern tool 1500 pound stand like this. Had a 6.0psd on the stand this winter and didn't feel comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back