Putting 2nd gen. 12v parts onto 1st gen. 12v shortblock

oldsmokey97

A buddy of mine needs a new shortblock.
He has a 97 and a 92 or 93 first gen. also that he wants to put in the 97. How much is compression difference? ALso, will the 2nd gen injectors fit in the 1st gen. head or will we have to switch heads??
I know front cover and stuff will have to be changed but will everything else swap over??

Lance

Switch heads, IIRC 2nd gen has 5mm, and 1st gen has 7mm nozzel tip bores. or just get the spacers for the 1st gen head.

pistons should be fine. front gears are the same except for the pump gear. hmm, what else. im going to be building a 92 shortblock with my 94 stuff.

Garrrett

Switch heads, IIRC 2nd gen has 5mm, and 1st gen has 7mm nozzel tip bores. or just get the spacers for the 1st gen head.

The Intercooled 1st gen has the 7mm injector bores-same as the 2nd gen. Before 91.5 they had 9mm bores.

The Intercooled 1st gen has the 7mm injector bores-same as the 2nd gen. Before 91.5 they had 9mm bores.

****, those were what i was looking for, i knew something wasnt right.....:nail:

everything is the same exept the inj,lines,pump,gearcase and cover, oh and the fan pulley has a different angle on it. the balancers may be different some are small some are big. pistons have a little different shaped bowl... my first gen ran good with 2nd gen injectors tho so i dont see a need to swap em.

Bringin' this back to the top.. Looking at buying a 1st gen motor. It seems that All of the parts off my 98 engine, including head. Will fit just fine on the 1st gen shortblock? The 1st gen motors have the 14mm main studs correct?

so.... will my 180hp stock injectors off my 96 motor, bolt up and work in a VE powered truck ? or are the injecor lines different ?

as far as i know the heads and block are the same, minus the injection pumps, lift pumps and fuel filters...

(1st gen thread into head, 2nd gen head still has the bosss casted into it)

altho i heard that the 2nd gen 12v heads had more swirl as apposed to the 1st gen 12v (dunno if that was for the non-intercooled or not)

they look the same sitting side by side tho the 91-93 and 94-98 heads

hell, i got one sitting in my shop/.

Bringin' this back to the top.. Looking at buying a 1st gen motor. It seems that All of the parts off my 98 engine, including head. Will fit just fine on the 1st gen shortblock? The 1st gen motors have the 14mm main studs correct?

They have 14mm main bolts...no studs from the factory.

oops, yea I meant bolts.. I've had studs on my mind too often lately.. :bang

I gotta say. I'm a little suprised you are into dudes...

And it hasn't been mentioned but the non I/C engines have 155* injectors and pistons.

Back