Putting a 12v in a 2007

full pull

Sales&Support Valair Inc
How would I go about getting all of the gauges to work, what other issues would I run into?

I got a 2007 mega cab ram 3500 4x4 6spd for $3000, no motor everything else is there. Wanting to put the reliable dinosorus motor in there.

Last edited:
Personally, just scrap the stock gauges, make a plate and put all autometers, or something in that you like?

It seems this question has been asked here several times with no definitive answer.

Whats that, putting a cummins in it?

The only thing I can think of is keeping the ecm hooked up and retro fitting any sensors that would be needed then disableing the rest of the stuff with EFI?????

Dropped valve seat and chewed up #4 cylinder in my 04 today. Thinking im gonna pull the trigger on this project if i can find a little more info, mainly how to control my 48re(manual valvebody with lockup on a switch) if it can be done. Anybody shed any light

Just get a CR. they are easier than you think.

This isn't about the cr being hard. Its about $3000 sets of injectors, melted pistons, and what we may have laying around.

Not meaning to be a hater but chances are slim i'll ever own a cr again. I have an 05 also, owned since 16k miles regular maintaince schedule currently at 177,000 and is in pieces also as badly worn cylinder walls. Needs 40 over to clean up bores. Truck is bone stock. Imo reliability just isnt there. I also have a 94 with right around 630,000 now bone stock used and abused daily and runs great.

I also have a few complete good 12valves setting here that don't help the issue

I put one in my 03. To get the gauges you work you need to mount the tone wheel on the crank and make a bracket to hold the sensor. Use your CR oil pressure and water temp sensor (you will have to come up with some adapters to make them go in the 12v. Run a 24 valve alternator and it will plug up. All the gauges will work then.

You make a valid point as well as myself. I'm currently 428,000 miles on my 03 CR. original everything minus injectors and injection pump that were replaced under warrenty at 85k. Trans was rebuild once at 245,000. I just had to replace the lower ball joints and u-joints past week which were original. All it has is a smarty and someones transmission in it. It's lasted this long so I don't see a reliability issue. Just depends on preference. Because I have a 96 12v with 400ish on it as well. It's still going strong with original engine as well.

Put a CR in it, get efilive, learn how to tune it so it runs the way you want it to, then you'll say 12v motors are for pussies.

Put a CR in it, get efilive, learn how to tune it so it runs the way you want it to, then you'll say 12v motors are for pussies.

Well put. Since I've gone to CR's I'll never go back to Pre 02's and now I'm bout to jump to the 6.7's and hopefully never come back.

Any input on controlling a 48re. I'm all for a manual valvebody with lock up on a button.

I just put a 12V in a '98 24V. It's going to be pretty much the same thing. The basic premise is, you have to make the truck think the 12V is a CR.

You will need to run the CR ECM, which means you will need to run CR sensors, ALL of them. Then, the only issue is wiring up the shut-off solenoid for the 12V.

The issues I see are:
  • FCA, rail pressure, or any other CR fuel system sensors
  • Fan speed

I did this swap to an '03 and '06, both were manual transmissions.This is what I used to make it work..

CR ecm, balancer & tone ring, and sensors and use them in the 12v engine.

24 valve alt or 12 valve alt with external regulator set up.

12 valve fan.

2nd gen hydro boost pump.

12v intake horn.

Custom motor mounts (2nd gen mounts may fit with cr oil pan).

Pull cable shut off.

Adapter plate.

Custom air filter setup.

03 diesel throttle cable.

3rd gen aircon compressor.

2nd gen style downpipe.

Thats 98% of it. There may be a couple small things but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. I'll try to get some pictures of the 03 up tomorrow. Both were bone stock trucks that had major engine failure. The '03 put a wrist pin through the cylinder and the '06 put a hole in the block.

'06 block

IMAG0116.jpg

Last edited:
I did this swap to an '03 and '06, both were manual transmissions.This is what I used to make it work..

CR ecm, balancer & tone ring, and sensors and use them in the 12v engine.

24 valve alt or 12 valve alt with external regulator set up.

12 valve fan.

2nd gen hydro boost pump.

12v intake horn.

Custom motor mounts (2nd gen mounts may fit with cr oil pan).

Pull cable shut off.

Adapter plate.

Custom air filter setup.

03 diesel throttle cable.

3rd gen aircon compressor.

2nd gen style downpipe.

Thats 98% of it. There may be a couple small things but this is all I can remember off the top of my head. I'll try to get some pictures of the 03 up tomorrow. Both were bone stock trucks that had major engine failure. The '03 put a wrist pin through the cylinder and the '06 put a hole in the block.

'06 block

IMAG0116.jpg
I got a block just like that from an 05. When your turning 3k+ with only a couple quarts oil that's what happens.

Back