Question on small pin Mahle pistons...

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Anyone ever have issues pulling the pins through the bottom with the smaller pin at high (5000+) rpm? I'm torn between the 286110 and 286210 at the moment. 286110 if I don't cut valve reliefs and 286210 if I do, but they both use the smaller pin. Which kinda bothers me for some reason, I mean I've seen too many gasser engines destroyed by a wrist pin boss failure and a wildly flailing rod. Granted most were stock SBC guys that thought they could turn 6k+ down the straight away on a 1/4 mile oval asphalt track, I've also seen a few as a result of trying smaller pins to reduce reciprocating weight too.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm sure I'll be fine. I just like the warm fuzzy feeling from people with good past experience with the same pistons LOL

Last edited:
Pins.......

Anyone ever have issues pulling the pins through the bottom with the smaller pin at high (5000+) rpm? I'm torn between the 286110 and 286210 at the moment. 286110 if I don't cut valve reliefs and 286210 if I do, but they both use the smaller pin. Which kinda bothers me for some reason, I mean I've seen too many gasser engines destroyed by a wrist pin boss failure and a wildly flailing rod. Granted most were stock SBC guys that thought they could turn 6k+ down the straight away on a 1/4 mile oval asphalt track, I've also seen a few as a result of trying smaller pins to reduce reciprocating weight too.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm sure I'll be fine. I just like the warm fuzzy feeling from people with good past experience with the same pistons LOL

We turn 9500 rpm+ on a .787 pin. 2 inch long, .135 wall and never broke a piston or pin.

Back