Question on wheel changing

I don't know if this can be done easy. I have a 475/96/132. I was wanting toale it a 83 or 87 and a t4. Would the shaft need rebalanced? Being exhaust wheel and going a different size.

I actually just went through purchasing a turbo balancer for at work. the way the salesman put it there are a hundred ways to look at it. Larger frame turbos are much less sensitive to balancing. They spin much slower than the smaller frame chargers.

Proper balancing on a 3 axis belt type machine requires using an arbor and balancing the compressor separate from the turbine and then putting them together and checking for balance. Called component balancing. Balancing on a VSR machine uses the cartridge as a whole and is driven with compressed air. Then it is balanced as a CHRA.

Technically I wouldn't hesitate to swap wheels or turbines if the turbo was component balanced. If it was VSR balanced I would think twice. If it was a box stock borg charger does anybody know what they require for balancing?

Then you have to find out if the replacement take out turbine wheel was VSR or component balanced to begin with.

Long story short I would send it in to get balanced after a rebuild and a new turbine. You may get away with not doing so on such a large turbo but not worth risking it and everything downstream from the turbo.

Back