questionable D70

Mopar1973

Had a clunking noise when turning for a while and discovered a ujoint to be bad but while I was under the truck I got to thinking and decided to pull the diff covers to see how the rears looked. Front looks brand new and the read differential had a lot of fine metal on the magnet. No obvious play in spider gears and ring and pinion loooked great. No chunks of metal or metal of any kind for that matter on the rear. Am i correct to assume the fine metal is the LS clutches and should I be getting ready for a rebuild? The rear has made no noise or offered problems whatsoever, even at WOT.

Not sure wearing out would be the proper word. They will shed some metal. Using the friction modifier is important. If you don't it will chew them up quick. Without seeing what you are talking about I would assume you are ok. Just fill it up with your favorite fluid and add a few bottles of modifier, and keep an eye (ear) on it. Next service interval check it again.

yeah shortly after this post what was left of the pinion went to lunch. pinion is stripped clean

Back