Questioning my big single..

brschriever

I have a early 04 truck, 200 overs, dual fuelers, fully built trans with stock stall convertor, hp tuning still stock head and cam. I have a S475/83/.9 charger on it and it is terrible to drive on the street and will not spool at the line.. i have had guys tell me the 03 and early 04s have a hard time spooling bigger singles as the piston design isnt as efficient as a 04.5 and up. But i have also heard the S475 with the 83mm exducer is usually a lazy charger.. I am shooting for 1000hp, i want to keep my stock stall convertor, my question is, is there a better turbo size i can be running that will be more efficient and have a better spool? I appreciate the help!

87mm turbine wheel
Diverter valve
S472sxe smaller and outflows the 475
You really should change your Convertor though

You'd be closer to your power goal with a FMW 67/83/.90 than what you have right now. I would step up to a 72/87 or 75/87. I had the SXE 72 and it lasted me all of 50 miles but know of guys that beat that crap out of it and it's going strong so food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it only off the line, or from low speeds that you don't like it?
And why are you held up on stock stall?

If you want a 475 and want it to be streetable, you'll need a pretty high stall, or a smaller charger under it.

You need to come off the stock stall or you need to come off the idea of a single...

I have had guys tell me the 03 and early 04s have a hard time spooling bigger singles as the piston design isn't as efficient as a 04.5 and up.

That might be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard, and that's saying something.

Truck will be used for a weekend toy, mostly for drag races but plan to drive on the street here and there.

Im not totally set on keeping the stock stall convertor but it would save me the hassle to pull it and get it restalled from dpc, but as i can imagine i wont be able to get the full potential of the setup without putting a higher stall in it..

So let me ask this, if i were to bump the stall a couple hundred rpms, what size turbo would be best suited for that application with the same mods?

I appreciate the help and responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Like said above, you need to drop down turbo size or go up in stall speed. I'm running a 2-300 over stock stall with a 75/87/.90. It's extremely easy to street drive but it surges locked in overdrive around 15-20psi. I'm stepping up the housing size to slow down the shaft speed and help with that.

Who's tuning your truck?

Last edited:
I ran a s476/87/.90 on stock stall with 150 % over injectors truck ran good ran 10.60s with some nitto 420s and no traction bars I also had a fmvb and it did take a few tunes to get it to spool nice on the line but street driving wasn't to bad

I got a customer truck with an SXE472, 2500 stall goerend, 135% over injectors and Starlite tuning. Runs 10.50's in the 1/4 and he street drives it regularily. Turbo spools really quick. Can stage to 20psi boost at the race track in less then two seconds.

Back