Questions about filling a block

blackdieselram

A couple days ago my motor decided it didn't want cylinder 5 anymore and scattered it all over the track. I've been considering filling or partially filling the next block but wanted to keep the truck where I could occasionally take it for a short drive. If I partially fill it will it stay cool enough for a short run down the road? If so, will just partially filling it where it will be cool enough still add enough strength?

Why not fill the block anf run water through the head?

I've been told repeatedly they will cool enough for short stints.

The gap between more and enough never changes.

That's what I'm trying to decide on. Filling a block is all new to me. But if that's the case I might end up going that route.

JSP hasn't had his new filled block running very long, but so far the oil temp is staying below head temp.

He is full fill, running water through the head, and an oil cooler of some sort.

With no circulation around the cylinders is it possible for the cylinders to over heat and warp or get damaged without the coolant or oil temperatures showing it?

Preliminary testing on the full fill looks pretty good....90psi brake boost was pretty sweet...LOL
Never really thought about doing a partial fill as I didn't want to do the experimentation to see how full is enough. I seen Bponci has been doing partial fills and I'd quiz him on how how he's been doing it if that's the way you want to go. Moving that power band up will help considerably.

JSP hasn't had his new filled block running very long, but so far the oil temp is staying below head temp.

He is full fill, running water through the head, and an oil cooler of some sort.

Do you know if he drives it on the street any?

any chance stepping up capacity of the oil cooler considerably to take up some of the slack from the filled block, with a wet head?

Preliminary as in its only been running for the last couple days. Frankly by what I see it very well could be light load street driven. Really don't have enough time on it to feel comfortable about any kind of recommendation.

I was very nervous about filling mine this season but my machine shop talked me into it. He said he can drive his 3.0 truck around the pits, make a pass, let it sit for a little while, then make another pass if he has to before getting the oil overheated. You need to run an external cooler with a fan to keep the oil temps in check though.

He also said not to waste your time on half-fills. Didn't really ask why though.

I don't run an external oil cooler in mine. Oil temps don't get above 200.

Bump I have some of the same questions. My builder wants to do a partial fill on My 2.6.

My engine is filled half way up the factory oil cooler. I can drive to the track and usually make two hooks with temps staying under 210 deg.

Study the coolant flow thru the block. Use some high density foam to form channels in the coolant path so the oil cooler can get some fluid around it. Install a dummy cooler wrapped with wax paper (I also melter a candle to aid for easier removal of the cooler) After the pour and setup go in and remove the foam. Walla!!....cooling channels. This really helps when your going rounds at the track.

Last edited:
So as long as the oil temp is Ok the cylinder isn't getting too hot?

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but with EGTs around 1700-1800 on most pullers I'm not sure the cylinders would suffer anymore damage from hot oil. My main concern would breakdown of the oil and loss of viscosity and lubrication causing more damage. Keep the oil cool through a large external cooler and extra capacity I think you'd be ok for short period of time.

Back