Questions about Garmon's race

How something so simple can be made so hard by a bunch of people that won't be racing is beyond me.

50 grand will make sane people do stoopid shiz!!!LOL This one is gonna go down in the record book I think. Gary

That's why! I'm definitely coming to watch... there's going to be a bunch of outside thinking. Scratch that- a bunch of off-the-wall thinking going into this race. I'm proud to say I'm fueling a part of the insanity.

Are there any restrictions on hood stack exhausts? I don't have a new NHRA rule book and the rules on Brandenton's website don't address it.

Yes there is, and its an awesome camp ground (I've been camping there). Just trying to stay on site so I don't get into trouble driving after having some adult beverages.

Track

They have always let use stay at the track for any car events so I don't think it will be a problem staying there. Jeff

I'm not trying to change any rule's, but I've had a few people tell me that the turbo rules are not clear enough. If you feel the same way post up any question's you may have. I think they are pretty clear as to what you can and can't have, but that's just me. Fire away, Gary

Will we have the opportunity to weigh our trucks on the track's scales and adjust before the tech/racing begins? I have seen some pretty big differences between scales.

I am using the Scheid 2.6 turbo rules posted to modify my existing turbo so please don't change them now.

If someone could explain to me the NHRA rules on ballast (how much can be added and where it can be added) I would appreciate that.

probably a dumb question since rules have been set but..... I'd be interested in entering my truck. It has twins but, not a chance in hell of winning.

Say if you only get around 50 single turbo entries or even 75, would you want to except a truck like mine to fill the rest of the field ?

probably a dumb question since rules have been set but..... I'd be interested in entering my truck. It has twins but, not a chance in hell of winning.

Say if you only get around 50 single turbo entries or even 75, would you want to except a truck like mine to fill the rest of the field ?

That makes absolutely no sense, every truck you eliminate, will have been beaten by a illegal truck.

If someone could explain to me the NHRA rules on ballast (how much can be added and where it can be added) I would appreciate that.

4:2 BALLAST
As permitted in Class Requirements. Any material used for the
purpose of adding to a car’s total weight must be permanently
attached to the car’s structure and must not extend in front of or
behind the rear of the car’s body or above the rear tires. No liquid or
loose ballast permitted (i.e., water, sandbags, rocks, shot bags,
metal weights, etc.). Discovery of loose or disguised ballast will
result in disqualification from the event, regardless of whether
infraction occurs during qualifying or eliminations. Additional
penalties may be imposed in the sole and absolute discretion of
NHRA. Weight boxes (two maximum) made of 1/8-inch material may
be constructed to hold small items such as shot bags, lead bars,
etc., as long as box and contents do not weigh more than 100
pounds or as outlined in Class Requirements. The box must be
securely fastened to the frame or crossmember with at least two 1/2-
inch-diameter steel bolts. Any liquid other than engine fuel being
used, located behind the front firewall (on a front-engine car), is
considered ballast and is prohibited, except for intercooler tanks that
contain water and/or ice only. Tank must be securely mounted to
frame, frame member, or OEM floorpan. To permit “making a class”
due to a difference in scale calibration, a maximum removable
weight of 100 pounds (or as outlined in Class Requirements) is
permitted. Removable weight must be securely mounted to the
frame or frame structure by a minimum of two 1/2-inch-diameter
steel bolts per 100 pounds, or one 3/8-inch steel bolt per 5 pounds;
all other weight bars, pucks, etc. must use minimum 1/2-inchdiameter
SAE grade 8 bolts for attachment. Hose clamps, wire, strapping, tape, tie wraps, etc. for securing weight or ballast
prohibited. Acceptable forms of ballast are 1) Heavier gauge steel
floors (i.e., 16- or 18-gauge, heavier gauge and/or plate steel
prohibited); 2) Frame reinforcing cross members; or 3) the addition
of protective equipment such as roll bars, flywheel shield, etc. If
additional ballast is needed and is permitted by Class
Requirements, it must be permanently attached to frame, bolted with
two 1/2-inch-diameter bolts per 100 pounds, with nuts welded to
bolts. Maximum amount of removable and/or permanent ballast,
unless otherwise stated under Class Requirements, is 500 pounds.
Cars running 8.49 and quicker are limited to 250 pounds maximum,
per SFI chassis specification.

That makes absolutely no sense, every truck you eliminate, will have been beaten by a illegal truck.

I just figured it's a way to fill the field completely if 100 "rule built trucks" didn't sign up. I my have twins but, doubt that would help against a 6K truck. I would think the slowest trucks would be as fast as I could go. Elimination would come quick but, I would have gotten to race. Just a thought however stupid.

I just figured it's a way to fill the field completely if 100 "rule built trucks" didn't sign up. I my have twins but, doubt that would help against a 6K truck. I would think the slowest trucks would be as fast as I could go. Elimination would come quick but, I would have gotten to race. Just a thought however stupid.

No I understand your thought, but it just is not practical. Its like guys would come to a race and tell me they didn't to be a member, but they wanted to run in the same class with the members. Then they would get mad when I told them they couldn't because it wouldn't be fair to the paying members to be eliminated by a non paying member. Yes it would have made for a larger truck count, but still not practical.

John I have seen this a lot in NHRA, in the heavy altered classes, you will have to be very creative. The term removable or permanently attached ballast is one thing, but you can make other components out of heavy stuff. I would make myself a drill collar rear bumper, at 120 lbs per foot, this would be a way to satisfy the rules . Just have to think outside the box

Back