Quick and dirty tow rig

Are you going to get the Mishumoto or a 6.0 cooler? I think you have to cut the bumper support for the 6.0 cooler. I need to do one also, and get rid of the heat exchanger.

Are you going to get the Mishumoto or a 6.0 cooler? I think you have to cut the bumper support for the 6.0 cooler. I need to do one also, and get rid of the heat exchanger.

I think I'm going to go with the derale and mount it under the bed. I'm still not completely sure. The bolt in mishimoto would be a lot more convenient but since I'll have to make the new lines, mounting up the drale wouldn't be that much extra work lol. I'm pretty indecisive.

I had a fellow give me a ‘92 D250 about five years ago that he and his wife had bought new and pulled a fifth wheel with. It had the non-lockup A518 that he’d had BD build back in the day. He had two Derale coolers under the bed. He had them both wired with thermo switches so the fans would come on automatically and he had them both wired where he could turn them on manually. The thermo switches were at two different temps so one would come on and then if needed the other one. It was a slick setup and evidently worked well. They pulled that fifth wheel to almost every state and to Alaska three times.

Last edited:
I had a fellow give me a ‘92 D250 about five years ago that he and his wife had bought new and pulled a fifth wheel with. It had the non-lockup A518 that he’d had BD build back in the day. He had two Derale coolers under the bed. He had them both wired with thermo switches so the fans would come on automatically and he had them both wired where he could turn them on manually. The thermo switches were at two different temps so one would come on and then if needed the other one. It was a slick setup and evidently worked well. They pulled that fifth wheel to almost every state and to Alaska three times.

Yeah I've always had good luck with derale stuff, just haven't used it on anything towing/loaded heavy making real heat for long periods of time.

On my '77 Fummins, I have a Derale in the front that is cooled by the engine fan, and also a Derale under the bed with an electric fan and thermo switch. It keeps it cool in stop and go driving on a hot FL day.

Good to see you back, Mike. The 3rd Gen coolers are the only ones I’ve seen fail and mix coolant and tranny fluid, toasting the tranny.

more good news...trucks are a fkn ticking bomb....pos...all of em

Yeah I've always had good luck with derale stuff, just haven't used it on anything towing/loaded heavy making real heat for long periods of time.

The derale fan controller kit is also what I’m running. Relay, manual over ride and auto on. Was like $30 but I also bought a -8an inline sensor port for the 1/8npt temp sender. Fan temp sender at one end of hose, guage temp sender at other end.

more good news...trucks are a fkn ticking bomb....pos...all of em

I've got to say, 3rd gen is my favorite of all of them. I love the creature comforts of my 4th gens, even the base model chassis cabs are awesome. But the 3rd gen still feels like a truck, and I'm comfortable with that. lol

The derale fan controller kit is also what I’m running. Relay, manual over ride and auto on. Was like $30 but I also bought a -8an inline sensor port for the 1/8npt temp sender. Fan temp sender at one end of hose, guage temp sender at other end.

I think I'm going with the mishimoto now. Turns out derale doesn't have a customer service department anymore, just a generic voicemail and email that no one monitors lol.

I'm still bypassing the heat exchanger on the block, and hoping the mishimoto will keep me at 170 or cooler.

Are the edge monitors any good now? I'm past the age where I enjoy running a bunch of wires and lines for individual gauges.

Are the edge monitors any good now? I'm past the age where I enjoy running a bunch of wires and lines for individual gauges.
I'm pleased with my CTS2. I added the EAS expansion kit so that I have EGT and two 5V sensor inputs.
Occasionally I have to tap the screen to get it to boot because it didn't react to key-on
It also pissed me off that they don't sell different lengths extension cables for the eas

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I have an Edge cts2 on my LML. I keep thinking I want to put gauges on it too. Yes it's simple to install, but the screen is busy (it's easier to glance at a needle on a gauge) and the readings aren't as exact due to sensors and computers and voltage and other wizardry.

I have an Edge cts2 on my LML. I keep thinking I want to put gauges on it too. Yes it's simple to install, but the screen is busy (it's easier to glance at a needle on a gauge) and the readings aren't as exact due to sensors and computers and voltage and other wizardry.

I don't need exact. Just keeping an eye on trans temp, pyro, oil pressure if it'll read, and coolant temp. And I need it easy enough for any idiot off the street to be able to read it lol. If I can set alerts, it'll be even nicer.

So, Mike, you have a fleet now? Hot-Shot deliveries?

I guess you could call it a fleet, a few trucks lol. adding some more here next month. Mostly oilfield, true hotshot stuff. Not much general freight except for backhauls.

cheap and dirty is my middle name. Mike I've been trying to not buy random trucks since I've moved down here. My will power is weak. I've been looking at drop in chargers for my 3rd gen. I'm done with the big laggy s400's I just want a 500hp tow truck to haul my camper. Maybe a set of 30-60% overs down the road.

cheap and dirty is my middle name. Mike I've been trying to not buy random trucks since I've moved down here. My will power is weak. I've been looking at drop in chargers for my 3rd gen. I'm done with the big laggy s400's I just want a 500hp tow truck to haul my camper. Maybe a set of 30-60% overs down the road.

Yeah I need more practical these days.

Back