Radio Upgrade?

iker42

Hmm...
So I just bought an 04 and am looking to get rid of the CD/Cassette radio. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and would like to keep the dash stockish. Is it possible to swap to a radio from the 06-08 dodges? I haven't pulled mine yet, but how bad are these round edges going to mess me up?

If I can't upgrade within OEM radios, I'd be looking for a touchscreen, non slid out type LCD radio. Am I best going to a double din dash bezel or can I find a decent 1.5din radio?

Also, can I add the bluetooth and sirius to the truck, or is that a lot of added equipment?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. I liked my 2nd gen where I had a true sqare double din.

No you can not put an 06-09 radio on an 03-05. Way different in size.

Just get the factory nav for the 03-05's.

No you can not put an 06-09 radio on an 03-05. Way different in size.

Just get the factory nav for the 03-05's.

Did not know there was a factory Nav for them, I looked on google and ebay for about an hour and only found the same radio I have and then guys who cut up their dash for other radios. I will look into that for sure!

I have one in my 05 work truck. Pretty neat. Not as fancy as the aftermarket ones but I like the factory nav units because they actually work. And don't have all this extra chrap on them.

I have one in my 05 work truck. Pretty neat. Not as fancy as the aftermarket ones but I like the factory nav units because they actually work. And don't have all this extra chrap on them.

Ugh, I just found one, but I really want an Aux plug or cable and from the looks of it, this does not have one....

Guess I'm going for a head unit with sirius built in and an aux plug.

You can easily make a cable for one... Thru the Sirius input.

Complete DIY for AUX input.....iPod, MP3, Android, Zune... - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum

And from another site;

Tools Needed:
Wire Cutter
Wire Stripper
Soldering Iron and Solder
Drill
Nut Drivers
Heat Gun

Materials Needed:
Wire
Shrink Tubing
Electrical Tape
1/8" Stereo Jack (RadioShack Part #274-246)

1. Disconnect Battery and remove the dash trim and radio.
2. Find the XM radio plug. (See picture #1)
3. Cut the brown/white wire and the green/white wire. Also, strip about a 1/4" off the black/white wire but do not cut it. (See picture #2)
4. Solder wires to stereo jack and splice them in as shown. (See picture #3 and wiring diagram)
A. Terminal 1 - Splice into Black/White wire
B. Terminal 2 - Connect to Radio Side of Brown/White wire
C. Terminal 3 - Connect to XM Antenna Side of Brown/White wire
D. Terminal 4 - Connect to Radio Side of Green/White Wire
E. Terminal 5 - Connect to XM Antenna Side of Green/White Wire
F. Tan Wire - Do Nothing
5. Shrink tube bare wire connections and wrap in electrical tape. (See picture #4)
6. Drill hole in a location for the stereo jack and install. (See picture #5)

This will allow to plug in an mp3 player and play it through your audio system when you select XM radio from the bands. You do not need to have XM Radio service, even a XM preview channel will work. This does not work with non XM radios. I am in the process of determining how to make this work on a non XM Radio enabled stereo.

Last edited:
I just added a pioneer unit w/ blue tooth (has 2 usb and a aux in as well) and mounted my Ipad as my GPS.

how much are the stock nav units going for now anyways?

I just added a pioneer unit w/ blue tooth (has 2 usb and a aux in as well) and mounted my Ipad as my GPS.

how much are the stock nav units going for now anyways?

Around 3-400!!
I like my Garmin so I don't really need the nav, which pioneer did you go with and how clean did it mount in the dash?

DEH-P9400

thats the unit I got. Didn't get the better model b/c the extra money wasn't worth the features added. You can change the back ground colors and button colors and they match pretty well.

I loved my Garmin too. But a big screen, internet at my finger tips, being able to search for anything help me switch to the IPad GPS in a heart beat. I'll get some pics when i go out and about.

The biggest issue to make it clean is the install mount. the cheap one that comes from crutchfield isn't that nice IMO but my Ipad covers it so i'm not to worry'd about it.

DEH-P9400

thats the unit I got. Didn't get the better model b/c the extra money wasn't worth the features added. You can change the back ground colors and button colors and they match pretty well.

I loved my Garmin too. But a big screen, internet at my finger tips, being able to search for anything help me switch to the IPad GPS in a heart beat. I'll get some pics when i go out and about.

The biggest issue to make it clean is the install mount. the cheap one that comes from crutchfield isn't that nice IMO but my Ipad covers it so i'm not to worry'd about it.

Funy you say that. There's a guy with an 04 with an iPad in place if the radio. Pretty freaking sweet [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBplkfwkog"]ipad install - YouTube[/ame]

here are a few pics:
my view from the drivers seat
8323952788_31ddbd8092_z.jpg

The radio
8323954576_72bfd51575_z.jpg

Back of mount
8322897115_a6bfb163f0_z.jpg

The mount for the ipod
8322898263_22c143830c_z.jpg

I have a stock dash w/ a single din head unit. Drilled a few holes to hold the bracket.

There is no nav dash for the 03-05's. all are the same as far as I know

Now with the aux button on that radio, does that mean there is a way to add an aux cord?

I just got a double din touch screen kenwood DDX419 sweet unitfits really nice in the nav face plate! Now if I can only figure out no sound and the two extra wire going to a "CAN B"??

Back