Rail/Timing pop issues

DODGE74

Ok, how many of you 03-04 guys had rail/timing pop before UDC and how many of you were able to tune it out?

I have a guy that wants me to tune his truck and he is experiencing severe poping issues in the upper rpm and hopefully we can get it straightened out. He's tried just about every setting on the Smarty to get it to stop but he's been unsuccessful.

The truck is a 04 manual running Motorsport dual fuelers, 100hp nozzles and a Borg 366/73/.91 charger with the rest of the supporting mods.

Here is a vid of what he's experiencing.

12-31-12057_zpsab8d2a6f.mp4 video by gwlapw - Photobucket

Has he tried replacing his PRV? I put in a modified TC PRV in.

He is running the Motorsport duals which use a dual feed and two PRV's. The kit is brand new, so its doubtful that there is an issue with them. We thought it was fuel related because he had tried every thiming setting on the Smarty and now with the duals it still does it. And actually, it kinda seems worse.

I'm not familiar with motorsport but I can tell you another vendor that sells cp3 (not TC) I have seen quote me pumps that were bad. I had to send mine back twice and another guy had to do the same. How much pursue do those PRV handle?

Here is a pic of the dual PRV setup from Shane. I borrowed this pic from another site.

20121212_183033.jpg

The PRV's are stock units from Bosch.

His pumps are good. One was sent with the kit and is new stock pump and he is running a low mileage stocker in the stock location.

I know this cant be the only 04 that is or has battled these popping issues. I'm not looking for your tuning secrets, just wanting to know if you were able to tune it out with UDC.

BUMP

Rail pressure is still increasing as its popping.

Not sure if you can view it or not but you can see it in that video link that I posted.

DODGE 74 - I have an 03 which used to pop quiet a bit when I first started tuning with the SSR.

It's late right now and my notes are in the truck but if I remember correctly it was Low Level Rail Pressure that I ended up lowering until it disappeared for the most part.

Now with UDC I think I've only had it happen once, I will tune it out completely when I have the time to log everything that's going on when it happens.

Thank you Notso, thats what I was looking for.

Any more info would be geat.

hey dodge74 sorry haven't gotten back into a situation where it has popped again.

I seem to remember it only really popping between 2&3 rd gear when trying to fishtail around a corner while at high rpm. On its own at high rpm i havent had it do it.

Looking through my notes from tuning with the SSR it looks like anytime I had the Low Level Duration above 20 (SSR setting not to be confused with any other smarty level).

I ran about 42 ssr tunes before UDC came along and after around #8 the LLD was reduced and I no longer noticed any pop.

If i owened an import i'd just call it the rev limiter and leave it be but its kinda an uncomfortable feeling when it does happen.

I will let you know if I remember or find out anything more.

Back