Rattling noise, help me diagnose

0 Xero 0

Turbolover
My truck developed a rattling noise a little while ago. At first I thought it may have been my hub caps because it began after I put new front brakes on and the hub caps aren't part of the wheels. Well, it's gotten worse and now I'm really worried. This is my only driveable vehicle at the moment, so I need to figure out what this is. I figure my transmission could use a rebuild soon, but why would this noise start happening randomly? I don't sled pull and I only hotrod it once in a blue moon. The noise doesn't seem to increase with the amount of load I put on the drivetrain and it doesn't seem to increase with rpm. The intensity of the noise increases with road speed. It sounds like it's coming from the bell housing; however, I know noises can telegraph from other parts of the vehicle. Has anyone experience anything like this before?

Some of the noise is coming from the shifter moving, but most of it is the rattling noise I'm worried about.
https://soundcloud.com/0-xero-0/rattling-noises

I have a NV4500. I thought it was my down pipe, but I made sure it's out of the way. I'm just hoping it's not something catastrophic waiting to happen.

My turbo was making a weird noise before it went out

Sounded like it came from underneath, probably isn't it in your case though

No worries, buddy. I think it my be the u-joint that goes into my transfer case. It needs replaced and the trunnions are pretty dry, so I can move the drive line by hand.

Unhook whichever shaft and take it for a spin.

Edit: you'll have to tape a bag on the t-case if it's the rear shaft, also it'll torque steer pretty bad so take it easy.

Last edited:
Back