Re-locating Gear Shifter-autos.

mpracehemi

HP NUT
Has anyone installed a floor shifter for their auto trans.?? I don't think there is one out for the 5sp or 6sp. but has anyone modded one to make it work??

Reason I'm asking is 'cuz my cable is kinda sloppy, some play when it's in 'D' position. Does anyone else exp. this?? I haven't priced one from DODGE but have a feeling it's not going to be cheap.

I know about the adj. under the steer. column and played with it. When I have the trans. in neut. and gear select. in neut., it lines up. Same when in park but have issues sometimes and doesn't fully ingauge in park. It shows in park but truck won't start (safety deal), place it in neut. and start.

I always use my e-brake, habit from when I used to drive a stick. Always hit neut., e-brake then park.

I'm the 2nd owner of this truck so..........

member triton has a ratchet shifter in his mega cab.

Lavon

even after adjusting the cable at the trans you have the problem ? Make sure the bracket that holds the cable isn't bent too. I know it took a little finagling with mine before I got it just right.

I'm sure it's not what you're looking for but, here's where I relocated mine to...

shifter.jpg

even after adjusting the cable at the trans you have the problem ? Make sure the bracket that holds the cable isn't bent too. I know it took a little finagling with mine before I got it just right.

I'm sure it's not what you're looking for but, here's where I relocated mine to...

shifter.jpg

That's what I was wanting to do. I don't have a console but I wanted to mount a shifter on the trans. hump on a platform.

Now what did you do about setting up for our trans. (5sp/6sp) ?? Most shifters only go to 4sp. I'm trying to put into words on here, before I was thinking about the other gears/shifting the shifter but now my thnking is it don't matter 'cuz there are only 3 forward gears and the electronics take care of the overdrives....correct??

Triton, still have to keep the stock gismo (lack of better term) that's in route with the stock shift cable, how/what did you do for that?? Do you have a pic of that?? See I was wanting to beable to shift like a manual vb, (like I have in my race/street-barely street) when I wanted to play hard.

Did you mod the shifter any or is it straight from the box??

BTW killer truck!!

Thanks for the info.

It's not 5 or 6 speed. Just a replacement for the column. The cable and hardware for our tranny is just like a 727. Nothing special to do.... I just removed the column shifter, disconnected it's cable under the truck and tied it off. Installed the 6ft. cable that comes with the shifter through the fire wall up through the console. Connect the other end to the existing bracket on the trans... adjusted and it's good to go. There's a connector under the dash to disconnect the wires coming from the column shifter. I ran those 2 wires through my new shifter and connected them to the handle button. It works just like it did on the column. One push for tow/haul, another for OD.

The hardest part was finding good spots to weld the shifter mount too, It needs to be very solid. I ended up after hours of trying to figure it out... welding to the seat mounts.

another angle.....

shifter3.jpg

shifter2.jpg

It's not 5 or 6 speed. Just a replacement for the column. The cable and hardware for our tranny is just like a 727. Nothing special to do.... I just removed the column shifter, disconnected it's cable under the truck and tied it off. Installed the 6ft. cable that comes with the shifter through the fire wall up through the console. Connect the other end to the existing bracket on the trans... adjusted and it's good to go. There's a connector under the dash to disconnect the wires coming from the column shifter. I ran those 2 wires through my new shifter and connected them to the handle button. It works just like it did on the column. One push for tow/haul, another for OD.

The hardest part was finding good spots to weld the shifter mount too, It needs to be very solid. I ended up after hours of trying to figure it out... welding to the seat mounts.

another angle.....

shifter3.jpg

shifter2.jpg

Perfect!! That's what I needed to read. THANK YOU. BTW, I love to fab. Check out my pix, I did the work on my car (back -halfed it) to fit the meats 32x18.5 and plenty room for more.

Many thanks.......

you know what would really look awesome is a long hurst handled floor mounted ratchet shifter

PICT4158.jpg

PICT0055-1.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

Here is the one I made. It's a B&M ratchet shifter with a costom handle that I made. The handle has 2 push button switches on the side and a Ram Head engraved on the top dia. The original shifter was to low, so I built a riser to get it up of the floor. Sorry the pics are so dark....

PICT4158.jpg

PICT0055-1.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

Here is the one I made. It's a B&M ratchet shifter with a costom handle that I made. The handle has 2 push button switches on the side and a Ram Head engraved on the top dia. The original shifter was to low, so I built a riser to get it up of the floor. Sorry the pics are so dark....

That's another good set up!! Thanks for your input. Like your handle. Did you just attach to floor with sheetmetal screws on the tower??

I have electronic 4wd engagment, but all dodge floorpans have the manual engagement mounts and holes stamped in the floor. So I used them to mount the shifter to the floor. If I remember right, they were M6 threads. I just made the riser to fit the bolt patern in the floor.

PICT4158.jpg

PICT0055-1.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

love the look of the handle but i think it would look better if you got a column part from a stick and eliminated the hole for the old shift lever.
question for you guys is the gear indicator in the dash still working?

love the look of the handle but i think it would look better if you got a column part from a stick and eliminated the hole for the old shift lever.
question for you guys is the gear indicator in the dash still working?

Yeah I'll eventually get the hole in the column covered. Right now I've got more important thing to take care of. Yes my gear indicator still works.

So.... down on the trans., it's just hooking up to the stock shifting lever/brkt. Not using the shifters' NEW lever/brkt.

I always had my wife inside the vehicle and I would be underneath making sure the cable was placing the trans. lever in the correct gear firmly. I have $4500 in my car's trans. and the internals still look brand new and I've had that trans. for 3 yrs. with no problems. I've had the conv. tightened up for the new hp that I've added.

I've only been into diesels for a year now and I'm amazed at the power that can be produced and still drive it daily. I stumble at times on thinking between the 2 worlds and then how they innertwine with each other. It's like when I 1st started modding my truck, I tried to seperate the two in ways of thinking.

So.... down on the trans., it's just hooking up to the stock shifting lever/brkt. Not using the shifters' NEW lever/brkt.

I always had my wife inside the vehicle and I would be underneath making sure the cable was placing the trans. lever in the correct gear firmly. I have $4500 in my car's trans. and the internals still look brand new and I've had that trans. for 3 yrs. with no problems. I've had the conv. tightened up for the new hp that I've added.

I've only been into diesels for a year now and I'm amazed at the power that can be produced and still drive it daily. I stumble at times on thinking between the 2 worlds and then how they innertwine with each other. It's like when I 1st started modding my truck, I tried to seperate the two in ways of thinking.

There is a bracket that the original shifter cable used about 4" in front of the oem lever. I used that as an ancor point for the new shifter cable. Then just drilled a small hole through the bottom of the cables threaded stud so that when it was inserted through the oem lever, I could put a cotter pin through it to hold it in place.

So...basically setting the cable up so it functions correctly, hitting every gear firm. like it's supposed to.

Thanks for all the input.....I'll be ordering B&M's rachet shifter. I like this one the most, it's what I have in my car also. I already have a handle made for it.

Back