Really high oil pressure on 12v...

Ford12v

I am getting closer to doing my swap (95 Cummins 12v 160hp) into my 03' F-350, so I spent the weekend tinkering with the 12v.

Long story short, I bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge and plumbed it to the 1/8 port above the oil filter. I removed the turbo and capped off the oil feed line (I didn't have the gasket set for the turbo).

I started the 12v, and I have 75-80 psi oil pressure at idle, and probably 95-105 psi off idle (the gauge only goes to 80 psi, but the needle went beyond). I bought this engine already out of the truck (supposedly 180k miles), and I am concerned that some dirt and/or debris may have gotten in and clogged something.

The engine sounds great and idles smoothly, etc. No knocks, ticks, etc.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Louis

i had a brand new crate engine doing that not to long ago, I agree that it is common. take the reading at the stock pressure port location on the drivers side of the block, i bet it will be a bit lower

my engine with probably 400K on it has 80 psi cold, and 55-60 warm, at idle.

Okay, just wanted to be sure. It seemed really high to me for an engine with 180k, and the engine was really dirty when I got it (it only had a tarp laying over it outside).

Thanks,

Louis

that's not to high. Put a guage on a 98 24 valve and it will scare you. We don't get real cold down here in FL, but I remember at the dealership we had one that had 110 at idle, and would hit 130 just off idle. Engine held normal hot, but cold it had some pressure to it.

Back