Really small turbo sizing.

roachie

Taco Master
Short version, me and Atchley live in the hills of TN will too much shine and free time. We want to turbocharge our John Deere 430 garden tractors, not for pulling, just for more useable power. We would like to bump it to 30hp from the factory 20.

Yanmar 3TNA72UJ 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled,885 cc [54ci ]

20hp at 3350 RPM

On something this small I'm lost, I just know we need to keep the boost under 10psi or so.

We have a 904cc yanmar with a Garrett gt1241. It has cut delivery vales, maxed power screw, and high speed fuel limiter completely gone plus bent lever. It will crank to 4200rpm and has made 17lbs of boost. I know Garrett makes one a size smaller, but I didn't know about it until after I bought mine. This thing would probably do a little better with smaller turbo.

Correct, but it is a unit pump built into the engine block.

We have a 904cc yanmar with a Garrett gt1241. It has cut delivery vales, maxed power screw, and high speed fuel limiter completely gone plus bent lever. It will crank to 4200rpm and has made 17lbs of boost. I know Garrett makes one a size smaller, but I didn't know about it until after I bought mine. This thing would probably do a little better with smaller turbo.

What is it in and what do you do with it?

If I remember tomorrow ill look at the ones we have in our smaller skid steers and mini excavators and see what is on those. I know they are tiny lol the inducer on them is like the size of a quarter.

If I remember tomorrow ill look at the ones we have in our smaller skid steers and mini excavators and see what is on those. I know they are tiny lol the inducer on them is like the size of a quarter.

those Are usually rated at 50+ hp though

those Are usually rated at 50+ hp though

Our VIO50 is rated at 40hp. We have some tiny mini excavators and skid steers. Although those engines are rated that high the turbo might help him achieve his goal.

Your cbr600 will flow significantly more than his 800cc yanmar, so not even close.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

my brother and I found a t1 1/2 off a 84-86 Yamaha fx550 and put that in our golf cart with a 885cc yanmar 3 cylinder.. with a little turn of the screw it makes around 10psi with a huge internal gate and was 26hp stock so it will work for what you are looking to do.. you just have to find one.. we found this one at a motorcycle salvage..

:hehe: Yes I know. Especially compared to a 3000rpm Yanmar. :doh:

To the op, could you try finding one of those small John deere garden tractors to rob a turbo off from? I have seen a few here and there on fleabay and a couple other websites. I think they are a swhitzer turbo. (I may be wrong though.)

Buddies of mine put a turbo off of a 700 series bobcat on a john deere six wheel utility vehicle with a yanmar or Kubota 16 horse in it. Turned the fuel way up but it still wouldn't spool the turbo. They cut the back of the scroll on the exhaust side down and plated it, worked fairly decent then. It wasn't quick spooling but did light and make boost, I'm thinking around 10 lbs.

Back