Rear adjustable bump stops ?

1965LONEWOLF

lonewolf
I RUN AIR BAGS FOR TOWING MY ANTIQUE DIESEL PULLING TRACTOR AND IT GOES GREAT WITH THE AIR BAGS AT 30 - 50 LBS , BUT I DO USE THE TRUCK TO PULL WITH A LOCAL EVENTS , PROBLEM I HAVE IS WE HAVE A NEW SLED AND IT SEEMS ALOT OF TRUCKS ARE GETTING THE BOUNCE PROBLEM, I PUMPED THE BAGS UP TO 100 LBS AND THE REAR TIRE TO 55 LBS AND STILL BOUNCED ? ( NEW SET OF STS'S ALSO )
A FEW PEOPLE WERE WATCHING ME AND SAID IT STARTED FROM THE START FROM THE REAR OF THE TRUCK , SO WITH THAT BEING SAID WHO SELLS OR WHAT CAN I MAKE TO USE BESIDE'S MY AIR BAGS ? I RUN THE BARE MIN IN THE BAGS ( 10 LBS ) AND I RUN BUMP STOPS WITH THE 1" ALLOWANCE FOR THE RULES ? :stab:

Turn caps lock off so I don't have to yell everything you type. Solid bump stops is the way to do it.

from phone

I made my own using a piece of angle iron and c channel with a 1" nut welded to and 1" allthread

Now my question is , do i run the air bags at 5 lbs and let the suspesion come down 1" and set on the bump stops ? I made some last like with 1" threaded rod and some angle iron and boxed it in , came out nice - so what do i want to run the air bags at and still have it come down on the bump stops ?

Run the bags up as high as possible then run bump stops down so it's solid.

from phone

Depends on what the rules allow. Most places bags have to be disconnected around here

Run the bags up as high as possible then run bump stops down so it's solid.

from phone
We have to use a 1" space on our bump stops , i think even at 100 lbs in the air bags it won't come down on the stops ? and then when it doesn't it starts to surge , built a nice set of bump stops last night , going to rey them out this weekend

We have to use a 1" space on our bump stops , i think even at 100 lbs in the air bags it won't come down on the stops ? and then when it doesn't it starts to surge , built a nice set of bump stops last night , going to rey them out this weekend

Run the bags to 100 then set the bump stops 1 inch under. Before you pull let the air out.

from phone

Run the bags to 100 then set the bump stops 1 inch under. Before you pull let the air out.

from phone

Going to be hard to do that because i'm the tech guy, i have caught 2 guys doing that and one guy putting 6x6 wooden blocks after he was teched out ? so with that being said , leave bags empty with the 1" space for the rules put 50 lbs in them and also leave the 1" space for the rules ? don't know which one is best for pulling or the angle of the truck for pulling ? I REALLY DON'T KNOW how much does or will come down with the air bags at 100 lbs? i maybe thought with only 5 lbs in there , when the truck did come down on the bump stops that it would be solid and i would get rid of the slight surge and bounce ?

I'd do as much air as possible Where they will still drop to the stops

from phone

*bdh*What kind of a test can i do to fing that out ? i know low pressure in the bags its going to ride in the bump stops like it should , to much air and it'll never hit the bump stops ? might come close but you'll know when you get the bounce ? just sucks because you drive so far for 1 hook and thats it ?

do the rules state you must have 1" of travel in the downward direction? or just 1" of travel?

I'd do as suggested below but before you tech the truck. If they challenge the 1" travel rule, air up the bags to show them that it can still travel upwards 1".

from phone

from phone

As long as you tech your truck like this and keep your hitch hight the same after you let the air out you still have 1" of travel.
You will just be giving up your inch of hitch height before you pull up to the sled instead of when you take the slack out of the chain.

from phone

I personally would drain the bags and just use the bump stops. Try it and see what happens. In my opinion hitch height is important, however I would personally sacrifice 1" to be sure I dont bounce or upset the truck to ensure a clean pass down the track. Also you have traction bars on your truck, dont you? Do you clamp your rear leaf springs?? You can read through some threads on here, and in some cases depending on how the traction bars are mounted it can upset the truck.

Yes , i have traction bars, from the rear end to just to the back of the cab if i remember correctly ? I guess friday night that i'll put just enough air in the bags so it really doen't move when your in the bed jumping aournd, that way i'll be assured that it will squat and ride on the bump stocks and hopefully no bouncing.

Well back from the pull, in the 8500 workstock i aired the bags to 50 lbs and put the rear tires at 60 lbs and the fronts at 25 and tried low 2 nd in 4 low , out of 18 trucks i got 5 th and most important thing no bounce !!!! Then i thought, lets try the super street class ? most guys hang weigh in the front but i don't have a weight rack so i put 400 lb in the cab , this time i tried drive in tranny with over drive off and 4 low and did the tires 20 in the front and 40 in the back - well went about 40 ft and started to bounce , let out of it 1/2 way and then mashed the pedal and went 238' and beat everyone in the class - I guess the onlt thing i did wrong was i let to much air out of the rear tires ( bouncing from the rear ) - next time i'll drop the rears to 55 lbs and try it ? if no bounce i'll drop again to 50 lbs - so bump stops did work - end up using 3 pt tractor hook up pins - solid on one end and 1" fine threaded rod on the other -

I have seen so many guys pull second gear 4low cause they were to scared to just try 3rd with no od. Then once they try it the truck does 100 times better. Did the converter lock up?
Also what tires do you run

from phone

Last edited:
I have seen so many guys pull second gear 4low cause they were to scared to just try 3rd with no od. Then once they try it the truck does 100 times better. Did the converter lock up?
Also what tires do you run

from phone
I have pulled this truck maybe 20 times in 4 years and always pulled on drive with OD off but with 35" tires , now that i have went to the sts's and only 33" ( 4.10 gears since new ) and i had the bounce problemmthats why i went and tried 2nd and it didn't bounced , but in the super street class it did ? but i went from 60 lbs to 40 lbs in the rear , thats a big spread , now this weekend i'll start at 55 in the rear and go from there- I assume it locked because it stayed in drive and didn't shift out. It's onlt shifted out twice in 20 pulls

Did you try blowing the tires off or do you come out a little easier?

from phone

Back