Rebirth of Monster Mudder

I've thought about it, want to get one so I can watch the gauges while I'm doing a run, hard to watch them in the 5 to 15 seconds of a run. Just had another race this saturday after a month of no races, the one 3 weeks ago was cancelled due to insurance problems. This race, I placed 4th again. I'd like to get a first place finish once this season. I did make it through the pits twice with complete runs, there were alot of class 2 and 3 trucks that didn't make it through.

Here is my class 2 run:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKyW3vhxxE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKyW3vhxxE[/ame]

Here is my class 3 run:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTCUoz7F1c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTCUoz7F1c[/ame]

Looked like you left a little early on your class 2 run so you weren't at full boost/power the first few feet where there was actually some traction.

Your class 3 run looked perfect on the launch, no much else you could have done on that run except maybe a little taller gear, it probably would have bogged out if you upshifted one more time correct?

Awesome truck!

Yeah, I didn't have the brake mashed hard enough on the class 2 run and only launched at 10psi of boost, the class 3 launch was at 20psi. I hit 3rd gear in the class 2 run after I started picking up speed coming out of the pit, didn't try 3rd in the class 3 run, just wanted to make it through and fought to keep the truck to the right on that second run.

I've got a trans brake, I've yet to try it, will give it a shot on the last race, so if I blow the TH400, I'm not dead for the rest of the season. I need to put some bigger delivery valves in the truck, but money is tight right now, so if anyone wants to donate some 022 dv's to the cause, I'm open to taking hand outs, else it's on the list of changes for next season.

I've been starting to plan the changes for next season, and think it's time to drop as much weight as possible, truck sits at 5400lbs and want to get as close to 4k as possible, and I can't do that with the current body, it's already been gutted as much as I can according to the class rules, so I'm planning to rebody it this winter with the old power wagon body. I also need to move weight back in the truck as too much is over the front axle now. So I plan to move to water/air intercooler with an ice bath in the back, relocate the radiator to the back of the truck, change from hydro boost brake booster to a hydraulic unit.

3977776116_fb21fd6df9_o.jpg

Goal is to drop 1000lbs out of the truck, so I'll be cutting off brackets, and anything else currently not needed on the truck to reduce more weight. I'm also going to cover all the holes in the boxed frame up front to keep mud from intruding on the inside, right now the front frame is full of mud.

I'm also thinking of going down to 35" super swampers and trying to run in high range next year instead of low range. I'm planning on pulling the torque converter out and have it gone over to see how it held up this season and talk more with Art Carr once we see the condition on any changes we need to make on it.

Considering also moving to a 5k gsk kit from the 4k kit I have in there now. Lots of things up in the air right now for next year.

Naked

Last edited:
Sweet vids and runs!

I loved the announcers comments at the start and end of both vids, pricelessLOL.

Haven't tried it, I was thinking of trying it last race during my class 3 run (non points), but with the way the pit was, I didn't want to not make it through it. Right now I'm barely making it into 3rd gear on the less deep pits. I just have to judge it on a pit by pit basis to see if I think I can make it through it.

On another note, I've retired my 99 3/4 ton 24 valve with 300k to the farm and winter driving and replaced it with a new to me 2005 crew cab 1 ton 2wd for pulling trailers and road trips. Here is a pic of the two setup before the race and after. I did get 24.2 mpg going to San Antonio and back with 2 days of driving in SA on the trip.

6094636443_2b2636c5e1_z.jpg

6094639627_aa445743ee_z.jpg

Naked

Last edited:
Im not exactly sure how your pits are over there but in fl it seems everyone just gets as much possible wheel speed as they can and 4hi seems to be the norm; that is why i asked.

Most trucks run in 4x4 low here, the mud is pretty thick, only the higher class trucks seem to run in high gear. Wheel speed is the key, but you need to be able to keep them spinning. I've been toying with the idea of trying a 4x4 high run, just haven't tried it yet. I'll check out the pit at the next race and see what it looks like and decide then.

Next race is Saturday at 1pm in Howard, KS

i love your truck great build and love the pictures and videos good job man

Just got home a little while ago from the races in Howard, KS today. Was a pretty nice day, unlike when we were there in June, when it was 110 degrees, think the high today was 88 or close to it. Class 2 went ok, placed 4th out of 11 trucks. I think I've figured out that I'm going to need to warm up my trans more before I run. I'm having trouble building boost before launch on the first run, but the second run through the mud is a lot easier to sit there and build 10lbs or more. I managed to break the 4 mounting tabs on my fuel cell on the first run, hurried back to the pits when I found out and ratchet strapped the tank down onto the mounting frame I built for it. I'm going to have to find someone to weld the aluminum back together and then I'll build a cross brace to keep the tank from moving side to side during a run. I managed to get into 3rd gear both runs. I just don't think I have the fuel/power to make a high range run yet. I've got to get more weight moved back on the truck, I'm way to light in the back, so most of my digging/momentum is coming from the front tires, the back seem to be along for the ride. I also need to drop 1000lbs between me and the truck.

Here's my class 2 run
http://youtu.be/q4aLPRXOjwg

and here's my class 3 run
http://youtu.be/vX69rqMrvsE

Next race is in 2 weeks at Cedar Vale, KS

Your truck looked pretty good on those passes.

Judging by the smoke or lack there-of coming from the stack, you could definitely add more fueling and pick up some extra power. That turbo might be able to support another 100 HP or so. How much boost is it pushing right now, and what is your fueling setup as far as pump, injectors, DV's, timing, etc?

The last time I was able to take a look while making a run, I was hitting 40psi on the gauge for boost. I have a 215hp pump with 181 dv, and running 435 injectors. It's the same fuel setup as I had before doing all the engine work, including porting and polishing the head. I was hoping to get bigger dv before the end of the season, but between paying for two custody battles for over a year now on each, spare cash is non existent until those are over.

Sounds like you definitely have room for additional fueling upgrades. When money becomes more plentiful, I'd look into a set of comp DV's from SDX and you should probably step up your injectors to some 5x.018's or so.

If you want some free power right now, you can bump the timing up to about 30*, install a $15 rack plug, remove the fuel plate if you have one, work over the AFC if you haven't already done so, and last but not least, you can rack the pump barrels and pick-up quite a bit of additional fueling.

It's been my understanding that 215 pumps can't just have the barrels turned. I'm already running a gutted AFC and have a 100 plate I cut and have tried it without a plate as well. I also didn't think the mac plug gave any additional benifits to the 215 pump.

I noticed last week when I was washing the truck that both wheel openings on the rear axle have damage in the front. Watching the videos from yesterday, I can see during the launches that my rear tires are moving around during the flexing of the springs and smacking the front. I had planned on building traction bars for the truck, just never had the time to do it, so that's something else on the list for this winters work as well. I think I'll be shortening the truck with the new body, so I want to hold off till then to build then.

So how many runs did you make this year? It seems like just yesterday you weren't sure if you were gonna make the first run.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving, so please excuse the typos.

We have had 8 events so far this year, I've run 2 times per event and we had 1 that was cancelled. We have 2 more events this year, the 24th of Sept in Cedar Vale, and Oct 1st in Caney, KS. I'm not going to get to go to the big mud race in New Haven, KS this year as I'll be in San Antonio with my boys for that weekend.

The TH400 and the np205 transfercase has held up pretty good so far this year.

Well, I installed some used full cuts I bought and put my #100 fuel plate back in the truck last night and played with the transbrake for a 10# boosted launch on dry dirt, holy snikies, talk about a slam you back in the seat takeoff. Course I had to slam on the brakes as I was headed towards the well house, but I'm stoked for the race saturday now. I'm planning to launch using the transbrake for the first time and see if I can snag a first place finish.

Well, I installed some used full cuts I bought and put my #100 fuel plate back in the truck last night and played with the transbrake for a 10# boosted launch on dry dirt, holy snikies, talk about a slam you back in the seat takeoff. Course I had to slam on the brakes as I was headed towards the well house, but I'm stoked for the race saturday now. I'm planning to launch using the transbrake for the first time and see if I can snag a first place finish.

now try some 20-25psi launches. Those are fun :evil

Back