Rebuild turbo myself or send it somewhere? Or is it junk?

Sandaholic

Bangin' through the gears
Been reading you gain nothing out of sending your turbo for someone else to rebuild it. True?

I have a Super B Special that I broke the shaft on. The Compressor wheel got into the housing a bit. But I don't think it should be an issue. I bought a Silver Bullet to replace it and the Special has been sitting here on the shelf in the garage ever since.

Should I rebuild it myself? What wheels should go in it? Where should I order this stuff? I seem to remember someone telling me that it was most likely junk now after I explained what happened. Sure doesn't seem like junk, but I don't know.

Appreciate any advice. Anyone that knows what they are looking at maybe I could text you pics for your opinion. PM me if you don't mind taking a look.

Roy

There is a reputable seller advertising a superb special in the dodge products section. Be way easier and cheaper with the amount of damage your talking about.

clean up the housing and I would think any decent turbo builder would sell you a shaft and wheels that's already balanced. buy the wheels and shaft,a rebuild kit for 90 bucks and put it together. I bought my phatshaft used with 50,000 miles on it in a twin setup,put about 2000 miles on it before I blew a boot under 70psi and whiped out a seal in it,bought a rebuild kit with the upgraded thrust washer and slapped it together,i have 6000 hard miles on it so far no problems.industrial infection wanted 600 plus shipping just to put a rebuild kit in it.

Send it to a pro to have it rebuilt. I can't fathom why guys think they don't need to balance a rotating assembly that turns 100k rpm.

Broken shaft means its most likely garbage.

Not if it didn’t damage the exhaust housing or compressor housing...; which IS possible.

Or if the housings are damaged, scraped up a bit; then you could look into getting it machined for a bigger compressor and turbine.

I would bet the farm it is junk. More than likely got into the exhaust side seal bore when it broke. Bearing housing, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, kit, seal plate, etc... will all add up to more than a new turbo or utilize the exhaust housing and have it machined for the sx-e supercore. The special is a 71mm turbine IIRC.

Send it to a pro to have it rebuilt. I can't fathom why guys think they don't need to balance a rotating assembly that turns 100k rpm.

X2...unless there is a local shop that will balance the rotating assembly for you.

Thrusted.
Touched comp cover
Broke at friction weld under boost
Turbine raddled around until it was shut off
Shaft,comp wheel, bearing housing, turbine housing all garbage. Comp cover and hardware were salvagable. Conclusion.... if the turbine side of the shaft breaks or if the comp side breaks and isnt shut off immediately its most likely total garbage.

In the pictured hx35 even if you machined the turbine housing for a 67mm hx40 wheel it is still too damaged to function. Note the exhaust sealing surface on the bearing housing. This is normally where total replacement stepps in.

Sometimes you can get extremely lucky and get things shut down fast enough to save expensive parts but most of the time if they are run until failure they become door stops.

Attachments

• 8F65287A-1743-4245-9B6F-73C2D2F2D188.jpg
    8F65287A-1743-4245-9B6F-73C2D2F2D188.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8AA33625-2BBC-4243-8B7D-2BB9C0C9A7EC.jpg
    8AA33625-2BBC-4243-8B7D-2BB9C0C9A7EC.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
I didn't think about the piston seal surfaces. I do remember reading somewhere that those have been sleeved though, especially on the aluminum comp cover. But whether or not it is worth the time and money is the question I guess.

I didn't think about the piston seal surfaces. I do remember reading somewhere that those have been sleeved though, especially on the aluminum comp cover. But whether or not it is worth the time and money is the question I guess.

Not on a unit like this. We repair piston ring bores daily here but only on bearing housings that are $300+ to replace.

Back