Recall on manual transmission trucks 2006 and 2007 model years

06 DIESEL

Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Scanning through the news this morning I came across this. I am sure my truck will be included in it and figured I would pass it along to everyone here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chrysler-recalls-67-000-pickup-172833309.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Fiat Chrysler is recalling about 67,000 model year 2006 and 2007 pickups because of a problem that could allow the trucks to be started without the clutch being depressed. Chrysler said one death is associated with the problem.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had opened an investigation into the trucks in May after receiving a report of a child starting a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 pickup without using the clutch. The truck moved forward, striking and killing another child, the safety agency said.

The company said Monday that a wire in the clutch ignition interlock switch could break in trucks with manual transmissions. That could keep the truck from starting, or if drivers don't follow recommended starting procedures, the truck could move when the ignition key is turned.

Vehicles with manual transmissions are required to have interlock mechanisms that stop the motor from being started unless the clutch is depressed.

The company is recalling Dodge Dakota, Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, 3500 and Mitsubishi Raider pickups that were made between July 2005 and June 2006. Nearly 55,000 of them are in the U.S.

FCA US LLC, the former Chrysler Group LLC, will replace the switches at no cost to consumers. The company said it only used the faulty wire during the period covered in the recall.

I'll be watching my mailbox as my truck was assembled in August of '05...

Well, I'm confused.

That clutch pedal interlock switch design has been the same basic design since at least 1989 in the diesel trucks, 1987 in the gassers.
It's a cylindrical switch assembly attached to the clutch master cylinder pushrod, which completes a circuit when the pedal is pushed.

The only real way to bypass it is to use a direct splice in the (green) harness plug, which is near the main bulkhead connector under the dash, which is also where the clutch pedal interlock switch plugs into.

This "bypass splice" procedure was used with automatics, which have the interlocks at the transmission and shift levers.

As for the switch assembly at the clutch pedal, the basic design is the same from 2003, through the 2009 model year, maybe even longer.

Also, as far as I know, for the model years mentioned, there is no CPU override to it, it's purely a mechanical link on an electrical component, with a shared fused circuit in the TIPM.

Mark.

Last edited:
From what I gather they changed supplier of the part between those dates, and that is what they are having issues with. I have to make sure that my pedal is all the way to the floor for my truck to start, if it is not on the floor it will not start.

My confusion is with this part of the statement above:
...The company said Monday that a wire in the clutch ignition interlock switch could break in trucks with manual transmissions. That could keep the truck from starting, or if drivers don't follow recommended starting procedures, the truck could move when the ignition key is turned...

AFAIK, there is no internal wiring in the switch itself and I know that the switch itself doesn't move to fatigue the wires connected to it.

This must be a very poorly built assembly, to cause the issue and I'd sure like to see one that's part of this recall.
I'd especially like to see one that has actually failed in this manner.

Mark.

If I had to guess the owner of the truck that has caused this recall had his interlock bypassed, his kid jumped in the truck and started it while it was in gear running over the other kid. He took the bypass of quickly and then reported it to Chrysler to get what we now have.

Entirely possible and kinda' what I was thinking.
It's not hard to do, the part is fairly easy to find to do it and it's easy to undo, with no evidence of tampering.

The kick in the balls is why would anyone with kids leave the keys in a vehicle?

Mark.

The kick in the balls is why would anyone with kids leave the keys in a vehicle?Mark.

Because that's how things work now days. It is always the manufacturer's responsibility to build bullet proof safe products. Problem is the evolution of stupid is faster than product development can sustain. I know of some parents that allow their children to play in, on, and around their vehicles all the time. Sometimes the keys are in the ignition. They always claim it is fine because it is an auto, it can't go anywhere because the kids can't get it into gear without pressing the brake pedal. I usually yank the keys out and toss them in their exhaust pipe. They will either stop leaving them in the ignition, or stop coming by. I'm fine with either.

I got this recall notice last week in the mail, this makes 3 open recalls for my truck. Maybe once I get the 6.7 in it I will drop by and let them check them all, but they dang sure are not driving it.

Changed a lot of them already. The return springs on the switch break. So the contacts stay slid forward.

Back