Recommended Oil

my name is not jeff but the trans is no diff than the engine. there are two schools of thought for service:

1) use reg old (cheap) type f tranny fluid and service filter n fluid twice as often or...

2) use syn stuff (high dollar) or the extra grippy john deer fluid and you go twice the miles between service

personally, if the truck is not too heavily fueled i run good oil in the engine, change it every 7500 miles and cheap stuff in the trans. that way i have the pan off twice as often (every other engine oil change) which means that twice as often i get to look at clutch wear and for small pc's of metal. twice as often as when i ran syn and went 30k between changes. what you are using the truck for and where you are using it determines frequency as well. these motors loved to be 'worked' but the trannys dont

my other truck is fueled semi heavy so i run cheap stuff in the motor and try to change it every 5k

just pulled one apart (motor) that had almost 300k on it (half of which using my service intervals) and it still had cross hatch so i dont think it really matters...these things just dont spin any rpm - thats why they last forever (or until you put too much fuel n nitrous to em :)

my name is rich, not jeff, but i hope this helped...

I run AMSOIL my self.

Thats what I have in it now but I just had a friend that put Amsoil in his full billet suncoast 48re and it made it slip really bad. I would like to know if Amsoil is had too much lubrication to let the clutches grab properly which would cause them to slip and prematurely wear out.

Thats what I have in it now but I just had a friend that put Amsoil in his full billet suncoast 48re and it made it slip really bad. I would like to know if Amsoil is had too much lubrication to let the clutches grab properly which would cause them to slip and prematurely wear out.

Iam a AMSOIL dealer and i havent heard that it was to slippery? I wonder if there might be another problem there.. I run AMSOIL ATF and dont have any issues.

What ATF from Amsoil are you guys running? I too am a dealer of Amsoil and know it is great oil but don't want to jeopardize a 7k transmission either.

The truck that I heard this from was a 2006 with the 48re. It is modded to over 700 hp. The guy serviced his trans and put in Amsoil to give it a shot and see how good it was. That weekend at the race track the trans started slipping and dropping gears. He pulled the pan the next week and checked everything and it was all good so he flushed the Amsoil out and put Valvoline ATF+4 in it and now it shifts nice and firm and is back to normal. He was using Amsoils Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid. It looks like the Amsoil was the cause of it slipping and acting up. Has anyone else had this problem? Could the Amsoil have too much lubrication for our dodge transmissions?

how do you flush a billet trip disc conv in the drive way???

there is no room for a drain plug in one (the front clutch is there instead) and the damn things must hold 8 qts!

how do you flush a billet trip disc conv in the drive way???

there is no room for a drain plug in one (the front clutch is there instead) and the damn things must hold 8 qts!

Hmm my triple disk convertor has a drain plug.

I have ran amsoil in my puller for 4 years. If I am in and out of the trans making changes I drain it into a clean bucket, change the filter and pour it back in.

Amsoil has two types of trans fluids, one is the universal, and one is the racing type.

i use the racing in the racing trans and universal in the towing trans. No issue's

Hmm my triple disk convertor has a drain plug.

I have ran amsoil in my puller for 4 years. If I am in and out of the trans making changes I drain it into a clean bucket, change the filter and pour it back in.

X2 :rockwoot:

What ATF from Amsoil are you guys running? I too am a dealer of Amsoil and know it is great oil but don't want to jeopardize a 7k transmission either.

The truck that I heard this from was a 2006 with the 48re. It is modded to over 700 hp. The guy serviced his trans and put in Amsoil to give it a shot and see how good it was. That weekend at the race track the trans started slipping and dropping gears. He pulled the pan the next week and checked everything and it was all good so he flushed the Amsoil out and put Valvoline ATF+4 in it and now it shifts nice and firm and is back to normal. He was using Amsoils Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid. It looks like the Amsoil was the cause of it slipping and acting up. Has anyone else had this problem? Could the Amsoil have too much lubrication for our dodge transmissions?

You are an Amsoil dealer, but don't have enough faith in the product that it won't ruin your trans? Interesting. I use Amsoil in all my vehicles, with the exception of my wife's new car, since it hasn't approached its first oil change yet... I have faith in the product and know it works... Have faith my friend, the Amsoil ATF or racing ATF will work great for your trans.
Scott

I don't know that Jeff recommends anything but, I change my fluid around 4 times a year... during the racing season. I've always used what Jeff does which is basic ole Napa ATF. It's cheap and works well, I've not had a problem using it. 18qts of ATF can get real expensive with the other brands

What Ty Said!! ^^

except the part about 4 times a year... My engines don't usually last that long!! LOL

Back