Regrind cam

I'm knocking the turbo lamp off as soon as I can find a small motor to spin the shaft while the lamp is on. Now to duplicate flames out the turbine. Red cellophane in the outlet would wash the base in red

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Last edited:
They have been doing all my cams for the past 20 years, Ive prob. had 200 ground and not one ever had a problem. He and I did 3 diff. grinds for my diesel stuff and never seen a thousands diff. in any of them as far as e.t. basicly factory 12v duration numbers with quite a bit off the base circle for more lift. And he re parkerizes all of them also. Tell them Tucker sent you. And I don't mind if you have cams done off my own masters they he has on the wall, Im out of the diesel game. Im back racing strong again with a blown inj. SBC on methanol. No smoke, lol.

Tucker

Wow, $40 regrind that is way cheaper than anybody else. I imagine that's sending your own cam down or a new unground cam? Would they be able to copy the extremely popular 188/220 (i think)? I was originally thinking either a maxspool regrind or a new Hamilton, but there was so much fighting and arguing through tons of threads...

They will need a core. Do what you want but sending someone else grind over to copy their R @ D would be untastefull and not needed any how. Just make a copy of my Bone Shaker cam and Im sure you will be happy with it. Factory duration with increased lift same ILSL. It was good for 5.20's and 8.20's in a 2750# car what ever power that is......it should be enough for most people.

Tucker

P.S. And oh don't think im saleing anything here I just passed along My cam grinders info If anyone wants to try a affordable regrind, their old fashion hard working brothers that's done this since the 60 with their dad. Their dad died a few years ago and they keep the doors open and continue grinding away. Their prices have been 40 bucks since the first cam they did for me in 1992, their not greedy people and don't let that price make you think it reflects their quality. Their old school where 40 bucks is still a profit and good enough for them. And No their not fixing to go up on their price even if......
And no mentioning my name don't get me a kickback of any kind. I don't plan to ever make a penny off of someone elses hard work. Just passing along some usefull info.

Tucker

Last edited:
I talked to them yesterday.......nice guy no doubt, but from the info i got good luck to the guys sending cams up there. Small LSA change, stock duration and a slight lift increase if any he said. He said they arent changing them much so id say thats about $40 worth IMO. Johnny was who i spoke too.

They have been doing all my cams for the past 20 years, Ive prob. had 200 ground and not one ever had a problem. He and I did 3 diff. grinds for my diesel stuff and never seen a thousands diff. in any of them as far as e.t. basicly factory 12v duration numbers with quite a bit off the base circle for more lift. And he re parkerizes all of them also. Tell them Tucker sent you. And I don't mind if you have cams done off my own masters they he has on the wall, Im out of the diesel game. Im back racing strong again with a blown inj. SBC on methanol. No smoke, lol.

Tucker

Lets hear more about the injected sbc and what it's in :rockwoot:

I talked to them yesterday.......nice guy no doubt, but from the info i got good luck to the guys sending cams up there. Small LSA change, stock duration and a slight lift increase if any he said. He said they arent changing them much so id say thats about $40 worth IMO. Johnny was who i spoke too.

?

I ran as big as a .400 lobe. I don't remember now what stock was but I ran a .280 lobe for a while and settled in a a .340" or so. Like I said no one over the other seemed to make any diff. in e.t. at least at the level I was at. Duration changes will apt to raise the power band and affect spool more possably. I used the torque to my advantage and didn't get far from factory numbers, but the increased lift really shines over a bone stock camshaft.

Its just a lobe on a camshaft to him. He can do or put or copy ANY thing you want, why would it matter to him. I also gave he a heads up that he may get some -odd- phone calls. To me its just helping out a friend like Id do for any other of my current or past sponsors. The exposure is good for them and damn good for the customer at that price. The Only ones that will disagree or have something off color to say about it will be those selling cams for Huge profits. Id have to say, don't worry about it and do your own thing.

This makes it poss. for people that other wise never been able to afford to purchase one and see for them self all the hype. Not a huge step in power in a turbo charged diesel, you can help taylor you power curve around in the upper rpm's If you have head work and need to extend it further. It complements higher timing nicely. I ran my Altered to 5500 with the cams they did for me, but na they didn't make any peak power up there, it was just high gear wheel speed at that point. Id say it pulled real hard to say 4600 or so......

This was a goofy comment.

And ya I see you sell cams as well, duh huh.

Maybe I should join you and sale them at a 500-600 dollar profit... Na

Some things are better left un said...

He could care a less what grind he puts on them, It was me that said it would be untastfull to send someones elses for him to copy, but he could care a less.

Last edited:
Lets hear more about the injected sbc and what it's in :rockwoot:

Ha, 1974 Datsun 260Z. Chome Moly tube chassis car 26" fab housing 40 spline stange. 15x15 Aluma Stars with 33/17/15 M/T rubber. 5.67 Pro Gear in a big bearing alum case. 4.068 x 3.75 all 4340 internals. Johnny did me a .266/ .277 @.050 .670 lift solid roller. .150 dome gives 13.2 : 1 static comp. Pro 1 with 2.08/ 1.60 Ti. 420 marine Mega Blower at 32% over. It right between a 6/71 @ 411 inches and a 8/71 wich is 440 inches.

Just playing the index classes. 5.80 , 6.00, 6.20, and 6.60. Running a mechanical throttle stop under the go pedal, makes for easy and fast tune up changes. I record bolt length for each index class. The 6.00 class uses exacty 50% throttle, the 5.80 probably 60%. This is as fast as Ive push it, it runs it effortless I have no idea what its going to run flat out and no since in finding out. Im to busy with work to work on it, Im enjoying running it and doing nothing but changing oil and keeping it full of Methonol. It uses 2.5 gallons on a 1/8th mile pass. Only had it out now for 5 races and fixing to empty my second drum.......thirsty sucker. LOL

It weighs 2580 with me in it and all race gear. It would require a gear change to run it full out anyhow, I built it tailored around the classes Im running. 6.00 class puts me going through the traps at 113 at 6900. 5.80 a bit tighter at 119 but at 7600. I could drop down to a 4.88 or 5.00 gear and Id bet it run some 5.20's or 30's but I don't know that or have a good enough reason to find out..... right now any how.

Last edited:
This was a goofy comment.

And ya I see you sell cams as well, duh huh.

Maybe I should join you and sale them at a 500-600 dollar profit... Na

Some things are better left un said...

He could care a less what grind he puts on them, It was me that said it would be untastfull to send someones elses for him to copy, but he could care a less.

No regrinds here, only brand bew cummins 24v UGL's. :) i pay much more than 40 to have my cams ground on a CNC, not a manual.

Im not knocking them, just saying what he told me. They dont seem very familiar with cummins grinds, and dont have anything very big to put on a profile. I wish i made a $500 profit! :hehe:

To be honest idt the big cam debate will ever end... In all the cam threads it was one manufacturer saying his is the best. There was never really any hard info deciding who's was best. I haven't ran a cam in a cummins yet, but I do wonder if it's worth the $465-$600... For what I've heard a cam adds I'd be better off getting a 24v core from the junkyard, and getting it ground. Like said above it would be quite distasteful to try to copy a successful cam like the 188/220. I personally wouldn't have an issue running a regrind. It sure beats spending $600 on something that doesn't do much...

Adding a little lift is not nearly as difficult as adding event. I would guess if you took and one of the good street grinds where you are going to have to move LSA” Lobe Separation angle” and add 15 degrees at .050 and 30 degrees at .0200. he is not going to be able to afford the time to charge $50.
If he has an old Burco machine, which is a great machine in the hands of a good operator, a street cam would take 2 to 3 hours to grind if you really doing anything useful. My cams are ground on a CNC machine and they hate my big race grinds because it takes even longer. There is a reason thing cost what they do, it take time to do it right. I did 1100 + cams last year with bullet, and I pay many times that so go figure

To be honest idt the big cam debate will ever end... In all the cam threads it was one manufacturer saying his is the best. There was never really any hard info deciding who's was best. I haven't ran a cam in a cummins yet, but I do wonder if it's worth the $465-$600... For what I've heard a cam adds I'd be better off getting a 24v core from the junkyard, and getting it ground. Like said above it would be quite distasteful to try to copy a successful cam like the 188/220. I personally wouldn't have an issue running a regrind. It sure beats spending $600 on something that doesn't do much...

From what i've seen internal combustion engines run great with a cam...

I made over 500 passes in the Altered and lord only knows how many when the engine was in the Black Truck. In that time I ran 3 diff. grinds that Johnny did from bone stock 12v cores. I never seen as much as a blimish of wear on any of the cams, never even changed cam bearings once in the engine. They had 40,000+ miles on them and looked perfect, I could'nt put wear on them so just kept re-using them over and over.... oem Cummins stuff is damn good.

Last edited:
I made over 500 passes in the Altered and lord only knows how many when the engine was in the Black Truck. In that time I ran 3 diff. grinds that Johnny did from bone stock 12v cores. I never seen as much as a blimish of wear on any of the cams, never even changed cam bearings once in the engine. They had 40,000+ miles on them and looked perfect, I could'nt put wear on them so just kept re-using them over and over.... oem Cummins stuff is damn good.

A 12 valve core is on a 102 LSA and even stretched to 106 would not give you much room to make any kind of cam without changing duration that would do anything you would feel. The minimum LSA I grind is 110 and most are on a 112 . my 2.6 cams is way wider than that and make a huge difference in the 2.6 stuff we have been beating on the dyno.
12 valve and CR core are fence post as far as being usable.

I phucking hate cam threads! About the time I think I need one, enough contradictory talk comes up to make me stay with the oem. Its a never ending tug of war. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back