Reliable 6.oh????

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
I just recently purchased an 05' f-450.... Its got 200k on the clock and my new business relies on it....If It's broke, theres no money.....so what say you compd

What things should I do to make sure its reliable? coolant filter? egr?

I'm currently getting around 9'ish MPG and am interested in improving that as well...

The truck cranks ok, but sounds like chit for the first 10-15secs, smokes a little white, and has a complete lack of power for the first couple of miles, but after that its runs well...FICM volts are good....

I would probally do an EGR delete and oil cooler. Change oil to a 5W 40 syn (Valvoline Extreme Blue) and use Ford or IH filters only. Custom tuned SCT X3 will also help. If you beat on it alot, I would also consider headstuds. The reliability depends on the driver.

No point of doing headstuds if the gaskets aren't gone.

Like I said on the phone man: Keep up with oil changes(max of 5k miles), fuel filters and don't baby it. I would throw a couple bottles of Rev-x in it since its never had any.

EGR block of if you get bored one day or buy a cheap delete kit. Also might be a good idea(since you're on stock tuning) to pull the EGR valve and clean it.

been down the 6 leaker road before....hence my username. Tried all of the above mentioned and then some. best advice i can give u is cummins swap it when it blows or ditch it and buy a dodge.

6.0 FTW!!! LOL you'd be surprised how many people actually like their 6.0...
Goose don't you have like 250k on yours?

new head gaskets, head studs, egr delete. the oil filter in the valley probably could get replaced with it having 200k on it. and like somebody else said...dont baby it. might as well throw some new injectors in there :ford:

Company just replaced my f150 with my bosses old 6.0 that has 160k on it. They said its temporary til they get me a new f150. I told them I'd rather keep the old 350. I love this thing. So I might be doing some of what's been talked about so it'll last awhile

Ive seen very few 6.0's get high mileage with little issue. You may have a good one or may not. If not I would do a cummins swap.

I came up behind a 6 leaker yesterday, flagged the driver down at the light to let him know his situation, his reply was priceless..., aw crap, this one too? 3 for three. he did not sound happy?

We have good luck with ours. 150k no issues. Couple in the area we work on with 300+k and have had only minor issues.

There haven't been any large issues that I know of yet with this one.... cummins swap is out of the question right now.....and rev-x is an idea, but pretty unaffordable at this moment because of the business being new and all...

so am I getting this right, theres another oil filter besides the one right next to the fuel filter?

new head gaskets, head studs, egr delete. the oil filter in the valley probably could get replaced with it having 200k on it. and like somebody else said...dont baby it. might as well throw some new injectors in there :ford:

Then what is he talking about?

small particle screen filter for oil in the valley of the engine towards the front, with some miles on them they can tear and then cause some headaches and cost some money down the road. it will help the hpop

Back