Reman NV5600 issues

gulfcoastkustom

I recently had a reman NV5600 put in my truck. Truck is a 2000 so it had the 1 1/4" input shaft. I had everything swapped over to accommodate the newer style 1 3/8" input shaft. I have only put around 100 miles on the truck since the trans work was done. I have a nasty grind going into 4,5,6 and it won't downshift at all without grinding something fierce. I took it back to the shop yesterday and had the guy drive it and he said that something is definitely wrong. He called the supplier and told him about the issues I am having and the supplier told the mechanic that I need to put more miles on it and that the reman trans won't be broke in and stop grinding for atleast 1000miles. Does this sound fishy to anyone else? I have a warranty on the trans and was hoping that they would just swap it out, but the supplier said that another trans would just do the same thing until I put some miles on it and that he doesn't have any cores that he could use to build a new one with for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else ran into this with a reman? My initial impression is that the guy is feeding me a line of bull.

I just had one rebuilt by Midwest Transmission (awesome shop btw). I specifically asked if there was a break in period, and if I needed to change fluid at a certain mileage. They said there is no break in period. Im still a few weeks from driving the truck.

Hopefully you get yours figured out.

Thanks for the input, I am just really concerned about driving the truck with the grinding as bad as it is. I dropped $4400 on this reman with all of the conversion parts and I am not too happy about my trans grinding. If I knew that reman was going to act like this I wouldn't have replaced the original one. I have replaced slave cylinder and even tried double clutching but neither have made a difference.

So what is MMTL 4874464?, your symptoms sound like the wrong oil to me.

Thanks for the input, I am just really concerned about driving the truck with the grinding as bad as it is. I dropped $4400 on this reman with all of the conversion parts and I am not too happy about my trans grinding. If I knew that reman was going to act like this I wouldn't have replaced the original one. I have replaced slave cylinder and even tried double clutching but neither have made a difference.

The NV5600 seems to be like a lot of other things in life where you either get a good one or a bad one. I definitely feel your pain though; I've gotten 3 bad ones in a row in 70,000 miles. If I had the time(and wasn't completely broke) I'd retrofit an Eaton Fuller in mine and finally be done with constant transmission issues.

Its a line of scat he is feeding you. Either the shop or the builder. We replace and repair numerous 6 speeds each year here and on reman units Ive never had one grind once. Id tell them you want a different one installed now or a complete refund including install returned to you.

Its a line of scat he is feeding you. Either the shop or the builder. We replace and repair numerous 6 speeds each year here and on reman units Ive never had one grind once. Id tell them you want a different one installed now or a complete refund including install returned to you.

I agree here. I dont rebuild transmissions for a living, but that is one of the silliest things Ive heard in a while.

I have no affiliation with Midwest Transmission but they are stand up guys and my recommendation if you end up rebuilding your original one. Turn around was 3 days from receipt until shipping back to me and was reasonable. You could rebuild your stock one almost 3 times for the $4400 you have in that one (not including clutch).

I am not sure if it's relevant, but researching I found this.

P/N 4874464 is an earlier spec beginning in the 1999 model year and superceded in 2000, when DC & New Venture went to a larger input shaft and other modifications designed to lengthen the severe service life of the NV5600. My own manual states 4761526 Mopar, Dodge spec MS-9224, Texaco code 1874 MTX as the correct oil. Definitely synthetic, verified by the dealer.

It's easy to get turned around by all of this -- there's actually an early dealer bulletin stating that GL-5 10w-30 can be used, and then a later one warning dealers not to use GL-5 oils of any kind because they eat the synchros in short order. A lot of dealers were using GL-5 oils in the transmission before 2001, and that was one of the issues addressed by DC when they did the mods.

I just had mine rebuilt by Bluementhal (sp?) and while I was not happy at all with the end deal, I am very happy with the end product. No grinding, shifts smooth and they said to use a full synthetic 10w-30 motor oil. What I used and even in the cold weather we have had this year no shifting issues.

Tell someone they are about to eat a tranny rebuild, again, something is not right.

I recently had a reman NV5600 put in my truck. Truck is a 2000 so it had the 1 1/4" input shaft. I had everything swapped over to accommodate the newer style 1 3/8" input shaft. I have only put around 100 miles on the truck since the trans work was done. I have a nasty grind going into 4,5,6 and it won't downshift at all without grinding something fierce. I took it back to the shop yesterday and had the guy drive it and he said that something is definitely wrong. He called the supplier and told him about the issues I am having and the supplier told the mechanic that I need to put more miles on it and that the reman trans won't be broke in and stop grinding for atleast 1000miles. Does this sound fishy to anyone else? I have a warranty on the trans and was hoping that they would just swap it out, but the supplier said that another trans would just do the same thing until I put some miles on it and that he doesn't have any cores that he could use to build a new one with for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else ran into this with a reman? My initial impression is that the guy is feeding me a line of bull.

I am having the exact same problem with mine as we speak! Mines a 99 and they updated the input shaft with the reman trans, added the extra 2qts of fluid, put a south bend dual disc in and it's grinding goin into 3rd and 6th and wouldn't let me select a lower gear than 5th unless I'm coasting slower than 20mph, it doesn't down shift at all and south bend, the trans company, and the shop that installed it claim I need to put miles on it. I believe firmly this is a crock of **** but none of them want me to bring it back with out putting miles on it.

I am having the exact same problem with mine as we speak! Mines a 99 and they updated the input shaft with the reman trans, added the extra 2qts of fluid, put a south bend dual disc in and it's grinding goin into 3rd and 6th and wouldn't let me select a lower gear than 5th unless I'm coasting slower than 20mph, it doesn't down shift at all and south bend, the trans company, and the shop that installed it claim I need to put miles on it. I believe firmly this is a crock of **** but none of them want me to bring it back with out putting miles on it.

Well I definitely feel your pain on that one. I'm still playing the waiting game for a new Trans to come in. I'll be sure to let you know the second Trans is any better.

You guys are both right. No way no how should a transmission have to grind to be broken in. Thats just ludicrous. Sounds like coal miner logic "ahh if we keep running it its bound to smooth out, right?" WRONG! You guys both need to take the trucks back to the respective shops and drop them off.

Back