Remote Start on a 1st Gen

Man this thread sure backfired on me. I figured I'd at least catch some kind of flack from Snedge!!!!

C'mon CompD. Give me your best!!!

Hey, nope it's a Getrag. Just have to make sure truck is in neutral. Yea I know it's scary.

And yes the grid heater cycles before start.

Wow, did she say her new remote start is better than sex?! You should have hooked her up with it a long time ago!

Wow, did she say her new remote start is better than sex?! You should have hooked her up with it a long time ago!

Are you kidding me??? Did you not see what a good looking man ho I am?????

She said "better than STACKS"

'Ready Remote' Start System. Purchased at Advanced Auto Parts. Get your own diagram as I farmed this particular job out.

Man this thread sure backfired on me. I figured I'd at least catch some kind of flack from Snedge!!!!

C'mon CompD. Give me your best!!!

Why would I give you flack, for a remote start?

When I used to install alarms and sound systems for a living I would build a micro-switch gate for both sides of the shifter and install them below the boot to make sure it would only activate the remote start with it in neutral.

I'd highly suggest you do something similar, especially with a diesel and the low RPM torque it will start in gear and run stuff over doing some serious damage if it is ever accidentally left in gear.

When I used to install alarms and sound systems for a living I would build a micro-switch gate for both sides of the shifter and install them below the boot to make sure it would only activate the remote start with it in neutral.

I'd highly suggest you do something similar, especially with a diesel and the low RPM torque it will start in gear and run stuff over doing some serious damage if it is ever accidentally left in gear.

I couldn't agree more Mr. Tobin. I am working on a fully mechanical lever (sorta like a tractor brake lock) that holds the clutch in until she's in. I don't think you'd ever forget something like this. However, now with your post, I see the simplicity and the full proofness in what you are saying.

I swapped an auto trans into mine to avoid the micro switch :eek:

I couldn't agree more Mr. Tobin. I am working on a fully mechanical lever (sorta like a tractor brake lock) that holds the clutch in until she's in. I don't think you'd ever forget something like this. However, now with your post, I see the simplicity and the full proofness in what you are saying.

It is pretty easy to build and install... two long trigger micro switches that will cover the throw of the shifter range (one on the front and one on the rear) then a couple relays and wire it in... Might not even need the relays depending on the RS unit you are working with, might be able to simply tie them to ground out when either switch is tripped and connect that to the hood switch with a diode so that the RS thinks the hood is open and most RS won't start via remote with the hood open...

Sorry, but I am old and it was a long time ago and I can't remember the exact wiring method I used...

Then if it is ever in gear the remote start simply won't function...

Back