Remote Starts?

iker42

Hmm...
Anyone running a remote start on their 3rd gen? Looking to pick one up for my truck.

I will be dealing with Minnesota winters here shortly and am not yet sure whether or not I will be able to plug in my block heater Are any of the remote starts out there smart enough not to kill batteries or starter?

Any advice would be awesome. Brands and models would help.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm running the factory remote start on my '09. Freakin' love it. The antenna leaves something to be desired, but at least at work I can push the button from my desk and it will go through two doors and a window and fire up. Sometimes I have open line of sight in parking lots and it won't catch. Dumb.

I wish you could tell the electric seat heaters to turn on if the outside temp is below xx degrees after a remote start though. The software guys quite on it too soon. I freakin' love the bun warmers. Nothing better than a nice warm ass at 5am driving to work in the snow. :D

I'm running the factory remote start on my '09. Freakin' love it. The antenna leaves something to be desired, but at least at work I can push the button from my desk and it will go through two doors and a window and fire up. Sometimes I have open line of sight in parking lots and it won't catch. Dumb.

I wish you could tell the electric seat heaters to turn on if the outside temp is below xx degrees after a remote start though. The software guys quite on it too soon. I freakin' love the bun warmers. Nothing better than a nice warm ass at 5am driving to work in the snow. :D

My ford does.......

:D

Wifes 2012 durango will turn heated seats on. Wouldn't know why trucks would be any different.

Mike...
I run a Viper Remote Start/Alarm on my Black 2005 truck.It has been on the truck since it was bought from Eric back in 2008.The ONLY issue I have had is a remote failed and had to be replaced.I had my shop that does my stereo/alarm work look the system over as I wanted to go to one of the new Viper Smart Phone systems and he told me not to waste my time since we only drive the truck out for shows and it sits in a protected shop all winter long.

I know your not in the area any more but if you would like to chat with him drop me a PM and I will send you his numbers.His shop is on the Old Trail just North of where the old CF freight terminal is up in Emigsville.You know how to reach me if you have any questions......Andy

Anyone running a remote start on their 3rd gen? Looking to pick one up for my truck.

I will be dealing with Minnesota winters here shortly and am not yet sure whether or not I will be able to plug in my block heater Are any of the remote starts out there smart enough not to kill batteries or starter?

Any advice would be awesome. Brands and models would help.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm up here in your neighbor hood. I had an Astro Start on my 2nd Gen and it worked well. It was tied into the wait to start relay so it did not crank right away when cold and you didn't have to wait for a timer in warm weather like some setup for diesels to get around the wait to start. Had excellent range as well.

As far as timing out on cranking time, I don't know what it would do. I never had problems, and I plowed with it for about 4 seasons so it had a lot of cold weather use.

I'm up here in your neighbor hood. I had an Astro Start on my 2nd Gen and it worked well. It was tied into the wait to start relay so it did not crank right away when cold and you didn't have to wait for a timer in warm weather like some setup for diesels to get around the wait to start. Had excellent range as well.

As far as timing out on cranking time, I don't know what it would do. I never had problems, and I plowed with it for about 4 seasons so it had a lot of cold weather use.

Cool deal. The only part I'm worried about is not being able to plug in and having it cold crank. Guess I'll start doing some hard research and figure out times and such.

My 4th gen senses outside temp and heats the seat and steering wheel and in summer turns on cooled seat with factory remote start.

I would highly highly recommend a viper or python system they also have a 2 way system that uses led indicators to tell you when it is locked/unlocked/running. Make sure your installer is proficient with diesel installs is the key. I work at a shop that installs them and there are a lot of delays and features to prevent burning up starters, batteries etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back