Restrictor Tube Discussion

But the defining question still remains does a restrictor tube make a S480 make the same power as a 66mm s300??? Or will it even bring them within 100hp of each other rather than the 300 there is now between a true 66 and a clipped to 2.6 S480. If it doesn't and you actualy want to make the competiton more fair and less expensive then the only real solution is good tech with good rules, and no the current rules most orgs are using now are NOT GOOD.

I don't think anyone is worried about bringing the power back to the S300 level, or about being competitive with an S300. But rather limiting the upper end of the spectrum, and a bit less power than the clipped 3.0" and 3.2" chargers are making now.

Cutting a guys nuts off that has spent big money into his truck to compete so that a guy that makes 700hp and does not have aton of money into his setup can possibly win? This is motorsports not a school for sore a$$es.
Brandon

Brandon, since I see you started a poll, and I know you are against the idea, let me highlight the areas of my post you should re read.

I don't think anyone is worried about bringing the power back to the S300 level, or about being competitive with an S300. But rather limiting the upper end of the spectrum, and a bit less power than the clipped 3.0" and 3.2" chargers are making now.

Cutting a guys nuts off that has spent big money into his truck to compete so that a guy that makes 700hp and does not have aton of money into his setup can possibly win? This is motorsports not a school for sore a$$es.
Brandon

Ding ding ding!

x2, tested a DMax today with a clipped 2.6 and then stuck the restrictor in front of it and it drop 170hp. The restrictor tube is at this point the only way to actually limit the power. I see it going to this in the future becuase the clipped chargers are not holding them back enough. Restrictor tube makes it a 700hp class not a 900+hp class like it is now.

I asked this in the poll thread and havnt seen an answer. Did you change the tune on the truck between the original run and the restrictor tube run? or did you just put the tube on with the exact same setup? What was the difference betwwen the exh temps and boost difference between the 2 run.

Last edited:
Bump. Saturday myself and some others in our club will propose to spend approx. $800 with Weston to get some of these made for our "stock diesel" class. We need this in order to make teching easier (in case nobody is present at any given pull that knows how to tech a turbo) and to invite more people into the sport. Myself and Todd Ely from PDS are heading up the 3.0 Prostreet class in MATPA this year. we can't baby the Stock class, it needs to take care of itself. A restrictor rule is about the only way we see that ever happening.

Any more info on these? any other clubs doing it? Mark, any more test results?

Brandon

Brandon,

As cost goes up, the number of competitors goes down. The whole point was to try to keep the sport growing, and not becoming a sport that only someone with corporate sponsors can compete. The more competitors, the more money the sport can generate, the more spectators, and the the higher purses. Promoters are not going to pay a $5000 purse for 5 trucks.

Brandon,

As cost goes up, the number of competitors goes down. The whole point was to try to keep the sport growing, and not becoming a sport that only someone with corporate sponsors can compete. The more competitors, the more money the sport can generate, the more spectators, and the the higher purses. Promoters are not going to pay a $5000 purse for 5 trucks.

Bingo!!! Look at drag racing, there is a reason why so many people do it. Everyone has somewhere to start without dumping tons of money into their vehicle. Everyone does end up dumping tons of money into their ride but it is after they get their feet wet.

Bingo!!! Look at drag racing, there is a reason why so many people do it. Everyone has somewhere to start without dumping tons of money into their vehicle. Everyone does end up dumping tons of money into their ride but it is after they get their feet wet.

Thats why it should be tried out in workstock classes, NOT 2.6.

Thats why it should be tried out in workstock classes, NOT 2.6.

I would like to see it adapted into a Workstock type Class. I just do not agree with the claims that protrusion would be cost effective and restrict hp in the 2.6" Class, like the old statement; "Don't pee on me and tell me it's raining."

I asked this in the poll thread and havnt seen an answer. Did you change the tune on the truck between the original run and the restrictor tube run? or did you just put the tube on with the exact same setup? What was the difference betwwen the exh temps and boost difference between the 2 run.

Yes, it dropped the boost by 15psi and egts went up and it smoked like a freighttrain. I am now sure that it will actually hurt the power of a big turbo more than an S366 makes. I just did 850HP 1600ftlbs on an S366 on fuel only and so far the best run with the restrictor tube was mid to upper 700hp range. The only thing I haven't tried is to put the restrictor on an S366 to see what happens. If I get to I will do it to see the difference. Regardless my average Clipped 2.6 trucks this year are all north of 800rwhp so all this rule changing did was take 10 years off my life with all the stress, thanks.:bang:rules:

That post makes no sense.. So your willing to look like a tard and have a truck that is 2 sec slower than another truck but not willing to get beat by 40ft in 2.6? Whats the diff?

Although i am on the fence with the restricter tube, theres a reason i changed my direction away from pulling. I just dont have the coin to put together a 2.6 or 3.0 truck like i WAS building to be anywhere NEAR competitive. I agree that you have to pay to play and all but its almost got a tad bit out of hand to be completely honest.

Look at the NHRA, NASCAR, and all of the other BIG motorsports. They all got big the way were trying. Big money comes in and things get crazy and finally, the rules come in and everyone is brought to one level to race and it becomes skill and fine tuning that win the race, not just money. You all may not like what i have to say here but its true. I thank the guys that have dumped the $30-50K in their motors to make it big as thats the first step to making us known as a WHOLE be it workstock, 2.6, 3.0, unl mod!!! Now that were here, its time to bring this competition to skill, fine tuning, and so on. Thats what makes the big sports stay competitive and the sponsors keep throwing money at it.

At some point the playing field has to be leveled but by NO means do i think someone with 1000hp should have to detune to someone making only 700 just because theyre butt hurt. This should be in place to keep the guys screwing work stock with HUGE hp numbers and make them compete where they belong which is not with the workstock/ beginner classes.

Does everyone see what im getting at here?

Although i am on the fence with the restricter tube, theres a reason i changed my direction away from pulling. I just dont have the coin to put together a 2.6 or 3.0 truck like i WAS building to be anywhere NEAR competitive. I agree that you have to pay to play and all but its almost got a tad bit out of hand to be completely honest.

Look at the NHRA, NASCAR, and all of the other BIG motorsports. They all got big the way were trying. Big money comes in and things get crazy and finally, the rules come in and everyone is brought to one level to race and it becomes skill and fine tuning that win the race, not just money. You all may not like what i have to say here but its true. I thank the guys that have dumped the $30-50K in their motors to make it big as thats the first step to making us known as a WHOLE be it workstock, 2.6, 3.0, unl mod!!! Now that were here, its time to bring this competition to skill, fine tuning, and so on. Thats what makes the big sports stay competitive and the sponsors keep throwing money at it.

At some point the playing field has to be leveled but by NO means do i think someone with 1000hp should have to detune to someone making only 700 just because theyre butt hurt. This should be in place to keep the guys screwing work stock with HUGE hp numbers and make them compete where they belong which is not with the workstock/ beginner classes.

Does everyone see what im getting at here?

you CANNOT compare this to nascar.. best driver wins.. ok maybe we should be allowed to draft the other puller... we go 300ft they have 500 miles to make descisions that will help or hurt them.. 2 totally diff. sports.. just either build a truck or stay home.. Im so tired of the *****ing.. anyone can "GET THERE FEET WET" its just after the ass spanking they take because they thought there 400hp street truck would do good they are turned away.. I got beet by over a 100ft each time by the top dawgs in 09.. I came back put a little money in the truck and I was usually around 10ft behind them last year looking to do better this year with hardly anymore money in the truck.:rockwoot:

you CANNOT compare this to nascar.. best driver wins.. ok maybe we should be allowed to draft the other puller... we go 300ft they have 500 miles to make descisions that will help or hurt them.. 2 totally diff. sports.. just either build a truck or stay home.. Im so tired of the *****ing.. anyone can "GET THERE FEET WET" its just after the ass spanking they take because they thought there 400hp street truck would do good they are turned away.. I got beet by over a 100ft each time by the top dawgs in 09.. I came back put a little money in the truck and I was usually around 10ft behind them last year looking to do better this year with hardly anymore money in the truck.:rockwoot:

I thought you were drag racing this year. LOL

Just last night!... I got bowersock on the bandwagon.. were selling out and buying fourwheelers.. you want in!

outlaw, youre taking it the wrong way. im not talking about someone not being able to get into the damned sport. Im talking about things like the NHRA that have SPECS your vehicle is built to that narrow the field in every class. Im not even saying you have to LOWER HP at all!

Im just saying there should be better division points and rules to BUILD a truck to. I myself are tired of seeing the *****ing and whining. Im saying class the whiney *****es together in the 500hp small charger class and keep the big dogs with the big dogs.

Do you see what im saying outlaw? im not *****ing, hell i dont give a flying phuck as none of this even concerns me! I couldnt care less about someone crying that they got their ass spanked by 100ft or more. Im just putting my $.02 in on how to keep people WHERE they belong and that includes the small guys out of the big boy classes.

then pull workstock... this discussion was mostly based on putting a tube on 2.6 guys. Thats not a entry level class anymore so why restrict it...we have rules. Some guys have more money than other.. welcome to america.. and if things stay the way they are in office the rich will keep getting richer..."my sales pitch for re-election voting" lmao. I know what your saying but this idea will never be used. You cant put such a huge restriction on this class as that. its a sport now not just hey im hooking at the county fair this week.

Back