Riddle me something.

LBZ's

Very good reading!!! Gas engines (IF GOOD) will be in the .35 to .40 range. If your in the .5 or higher your not making power like you should. I'd like to know how your egt's are at that fuel flow rate? I think that with NOS you can get alot more V/E than on can with a turbo alone. LONG LIVE NOS!! Just look at Jess and Buck Stock turbo and BIG POWER!

joefarmer said:
I've been keeping my eyes open for a racepak for that very reason, AFR. So is it true at 14.55:1, you can see the diesel particulate matter in the exhaust stream aka smoke?

At 20:1 you smoke.

Yep!

But they went 10.5's with a stock charger. Brayden, I need to talk to you when you get a chance. Thanks Jeff

Yeah I need to call you also Brayden. If I get a chance I'lll call next week!

JOHNBOY said:
The accepted Stoichiometric AFR for gasoline is 14.7:1. That is where combustion is most efficient.

Just to clarify, that is not where combustion is most efficient, at least not for power. That is where a gasoline motor runs best in a happy medium between power and emissions. A gas motor runs much better for power in a richer/lower air/fuel ratio, but emissions get all nasty. But, if you run leaner/higher AFR, you lose power and actually increase some emissions. When at 14.7:1, a gasoline powered engine is running the fine line between great emissions numbers and great power numbers.

Now, as far as diesel goes, I couldn't tell you what happens, I was trained in gasoline emissions; most of you will know that diesels aren't smogged, at least not here in California. All I can really say is I've seen a diesel at +/- 17:1 without much, if any, visible smoke, and no, there wasn't any nitrous oxide being injected.

If I'm wrong, let me know.

Later
Chris

joefarmer said:
Headed to the dyno Saturday with another set of LB7 beta injectors...:gag:

Real world results:
Went from 494hp to 52?hp, dropped 150F peak EGT on the dyno and dropped ~150F off cruise in the 2-3000 rpm band. I'm waiting on the email with runs so I can confirm the torque band moved down. I believe there's a bunch left in the tuning.

sleepur606 said:
Just to clarify, that is not where combustion is most efficient, at least not for power. That is where a gasoline motor runs best in a happy medium between power and emissions. A gas motor runs much better for power in a richer/lower air/fuel ratio, but emissions get all nasty. But, if you run leaner/higher AFR, you lose power and actually increase some emissions. When at 14.7:1, a gasoline powered engine is running the fine line between great emissions numbers and great power numbers.

Now, as far as diesel goes, I couldn't tell you what happens, I was trained in gasoline emissions; most of you will know that diesels aren't smogged, at least not here in California. All I can really say is I've seen a diesel at +/- 17:1 without much, if any, visible smoke, and no, there wasn't any nitrous oxide being injected.

Later
Chris

I'm going off memory, but at 3000 rpm with 30PSIG of air we put in 225 mm3 of fuel per cycle and it produces a grey haze and leaves a residue. On a dyno it's fairly dark. I think that worked out to 20:1 but my memory ain't what it should be.

joefarmer said:
Real world results:
Went from 494hp to 52?hp, dropped 150F peak EGT on the dyno and dropped ~150F off cruise in the 2-3000 rpm band. I'm waiting on the email with runs so I can confirm the torque band moved down. I believe there's a bunch left in the tuning.

My offer stands. If someone can guarantee sticks will increase HP in a Dmax, I'll put them in. Retail price of injectors + $400 labor. I'll pay the dyno fees.

So far nobody wants a piece of that.

Bigger holes increase the effective timing. More timing is lower EGT's less smoke, and in some cases more HP.

McRat said:
I'm going off memory, but at 3000 rpm with 30PSIG of air we put in 225 mm3 of fuel per cycle and it produces a grey haze and leaves a residue. On a dyno it's fairly dark. I think that worked out to 20:1 but my memory ain't what it should be.

Could very well be the case. It does take a few seconds to run from the control room to the bay door to see the exhaust stacks. I very well may have missed it. But, I never saw any large plumes or thick clouds.

I still want my OWN truck to work on.

Good luck with...Casper?

Later
Chris

McRat said:

You can get richer than 20:1 without smoke, but it takes some calibration time.

McRat said:
My offer stands. If someone can guarantee sticks will increase HP in a Dmax, I'll put them in. Retail price of injectors + $400 labor. I'll pay the dyno fees.

So far nobody wants a piece of that.

Bigger holes increase the effective timing. More timing is lower EGT's less smoke, and in some cases more HP.
Huh? That was from stock injectors to the beta injectors, no other changes. Same tune, same battered stock turbo, same copilot setting, etc... gain of ~20hp. I proved it to myself today, why would I want you to do the same?

I'm not trying to sell them, but I will try and help Kevin beat some of the dodges around here to be different. What you do with the information I post is up to you.

Last edited:
joefarmer said:
Huh? That was from stock injectors to the beta injectors, no other changes. Same tune, same battered stock turbo, same copilot setting, etc... gain of ~20hp. I proved it to myself today, why would I want you to do the same?

I'm not trying to sell them, but I will try and help Kevin beat some of the dodges around here to be different. What you do with the information I post is up to you.

Well good luck! Just so far I have seen very mixed results on Dmaxes.

Hopefully there are some true gains to be had with them. It would be nice to dial up the power with just a 8 hr bolt-on modification. But I'm a natural skeptic.

sleepur606 said:

Later
Chris

Then how come most tuners set the gas motors up at ~12:1? Not saying your full of it, just for the sake of discussion.

Stingpuller said:
Gas engines (IF GOOD) will be in the .35 to .40 range. If your in the .5 or higher your not making power like you should.

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking backwards.:bang

joefarmer said:
Real world results:

Good news Brandon.

Back