Rim screws instead of bead locks?

06cumminz

I have a set of 15" by 14" wheels for my duramax and have read up on drilling holes in the rim and installing rim screws. Alot of old hot rodder guys i have talked to did this in the past. Is anyone still doing this?

We use the screws on pullers and don't have much issues. Guess it depends on how thick the beads are on the tires your running

We use the screws on pullers and don't have much issues. Guess it depends on how thick the beads are on the tires your running

Do you put screws on the inside and outside of the rim or only one or the other? Do BFGs have enough bead to get a hold of with screws?

We do both sides. Yea most truck tires have enough bead to use screws

Do both sides and you should be OK. I have them on 32x16.50x15 ET Streets on my Nova.

sorry, I read the thread too quick...

screw both sides of the wheel, I used 25 per side. Also recommend using RTV when you put the tire on to seal it up good.

Most of the gas pulling trucks around here use screws. They work but I have seen 2 trucks spin the rim on the tire. It completely shreds the tire. But I think they may have been running too low tire psi.

ok thanks for all the input. I read on mickey Thompsons website to do 12 on each side of the wheel

I saw in a speedway catalog that they have templates to lay in the wheel so they are all evenly spaced.

I prefer a beadlock wheel, but I'm building my truck for desert stuff and hard core off road and my beadlocks and tires are VERY heavy and would suck for drag racing! But they make light weight drag spec beadlock wheels too and I think I would go with them if I were building a go fast truck!

I have run screws on tons of race vehicles. Just make sure the screw actually goes into the rubber. I have seen some people not get all the screws into the tire...lets just say they had to buy a new tire.

Paul

I did it on my Real Wheels with slicks and tubes. It's hard to take a drill to the most expensive wheels you've ever purchased...... I bought the screw sets from Jegs. 10-12 per side is plenty for what we do IMO. I took a piece of cardboard and made a template that fit perfect inside the lip of my wheels. Then got my holes measured perfectly.

I have run screws on tons of race vehicles. Just make sure the screw actually goes into the rubber. I have seen some people not get all the screws into the tire...lets just say they had to buy a new tire.

Paul

I've seen the same, air the tire up to max safe pressure so they thread in and don't just push the bead away (20+psi).

Back